VMware Horizon Community
Bpace
Contributor
Contributor

DNS???

We have View 4 and are having very odd issues around DHCP/DNS.

Can I get some responses back as to what DNS/DHCP server you use with View?

Microsoft

QIP

other?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We are a Microsoft environment so we utilize DHCP/DNS thorugh Microsoft and haven't had any issues in our View environment. What kind of things are you seeing?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Bpace
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. So here is our issue, in a nut shell.

We use non-persistent pools with "delete on log off" set. This is really important to us.

What we are seeing is that DHCP gives out an IP no problem. And the first time the VM is used all is well. When someone logs off and the VM gets deleted, a new one will be created in it's place using the same name. Because the true identity of the VM is not the same, (SID and MAC) it does not get the same IP. It should get a new one and the name should reflect that but it doesn't. The new one will sometimes have the correct name but not allways, when it doesn't the name is the original name with a long number appended to it. So now the dns names are all out of wack and the VM can't be used....

We can manually remove all expired leases and it will fix the issue until the range is used up again, with the "duplicate" names.

A real pain!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I do remember an issue we had at one point where we had multiple records for VM's after recreating some pools. The fix ended up being to run an ipconfig /release on the Golden Image before we shutdown and made the snapshot.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
YestoVI
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

These are some of the options to resolve this issue that i have used.

1. Put a shutdown script and let it do an IPconfig /release

2. Reduce your lease time.

0 Kudos