VMware Horizon Community
MDK73
Contributor
Contributor

DNS issues

Currently I am busy experimenting and doing a PoC for VDI. Because I am still in an experimental phase and creating a solid base VM, I am deploying and removing VM's at quite a pace.

What I came across is when I have deleted VM's from a pool, VMware View does delete the AD computer accounts, but it doesn't remove/release the DNS records for these VM's. When redeploying the VM's, using the same names (I did not delete the pool) the VM's get a new computer account based on their new MAC-addresses/SID's. The DNS registration however fails with an access-denied error.

I know the records are deleted by the scavanging process, but that takes up to 3 days in our DNS config. Is there a way to overcome this issue and release the DNS registration upon deletion of the VM's?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NHCdmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like you need to change the refresh period for DNS Scavenge... try this :

Open [DNS|http://communities.vmware.com/mk:@MSITStore:C:\WINDOWS\Help\DNSconcepts.chm::/EXEC=,dnsmgmt.msc,/s%20CHM=mmc.chm%20FILE=alt_url_snapin.htm]. In the console tree, right-click the applicable DNS server, then click Properties. Click the Advanced tab. Select the Enable automatic scavenging of stale records check box. To adjust the Scavenging period, select from the drop-down list an interval in either hours or days, and then type a number in the text box.

0 Kudos
MDK73
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to cure the problem by adding a shutdown script thu a GPO which runs ipconfig /release. This not only releases the DHCP Lease, but also takes care of the DNS records.

0 Kudos
NHCdmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your solution looks rather simple and better than mine... Cheers

0 Kudos
SimonYoung
Contributor
Contributor

Are you sure about this does ipconfig release the information on the DHCP/DNS server or does it just affect the desktop ?

0 Kudos