VMware Horizon Community
ahmad090
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DEM + Writable App Volumes

hi,

I want to store user profiles on writable volumes while controlling them using DEM.

Usually we used to specify file server path on the DEM GPO, but in case of writable volumes what path/argument do we use in this case ?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi ahmad090

You can't put writable path in DEM GPO.

Writable comes in 3 types: UIA , UIA+profile and Profile only.

It is recommended that you manage user profile either using writable (UIA+profile Or profile only) Or through DEM. Managing profile using both solutions is like keeping redundant data on writable and then on file server (DEM repository).

The best way to utilize writable and DEM both is to use UIA only writable (to manage user installed apps) along with DEM (which will manager user appdata or profile in general).

Please mark my answer correct/helpful if it addresses your query.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi ahmad090

You can't put writable path in DEM GPO.

Writable comes in 3 types: UIA , UIA+profile and Profile only.

It is recommended that you manage user profile either using writable (UIA+profile Or profile only) Or through DEM. Managing profile using both solutions is like keeping redundant data on writable and then on file server (DEM repository).

The best way to utilize writable and DEM both is to use UIA only writable (to manage user installed apps) along with DEM (which will manager user appdata or profile in general).

Please mark my answer correct/helpful if it addresses your query.

ahmad090
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi Shreyskar

and thanks, thats what i am willing to use :

writable volumes for profile and DEM to manage appdata

BUT in this case in the DEM policy i leave the profile archive path blank ? and DEM will be able to apply changes to the writable volume profile ??

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi ahmad090

Answering to your queries:

I want to store user profiles on writable volumes while controlling them using DEM.

> This is not possible through DEM as DEM GPO only accepts UNC path of file server for profile repository. You can't use writable volume path in profile archive location and this makes sense because when you use profile based writable, it already captures your %appdata% so no need to again capture the same thing using DEM.

Usually we used to specify file server path on the DEM GPO, but in case of writable volumes what path/argument do we use in this case ?

> Same answer as above. DEM doesn't manage anything on writable except giving you an option to redirect your outlook OST file to writable (DEM manager > user environment > AppVolumes)

Please mark my reply as helpful/correct if it addresses your query.

0 Kudos
ahmad090
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

okay got you point, thanks

i misread this part: