VMware Horizon Community
AlbertFish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Customization Operation Timed Out

Hi All-

I am randomly getting the error during provisioning (50% of the time?):

Customization Operation Timed Out

Logging into the server shows nothing significant.

Anyone ever see this?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I was just wondering if you ever found a reason why your customization was timing out on some of the guest?

0 Kudos
LundfeJE
Contributor
Contributor

I get the same issue. On a Automated Desktop Pool with 6 machines, 5 of them have the'customization operation timed out' error message. Even though it appeared to be successful. This prevents the VM's from being available, and is incredibly frustrating. Incidentally, I never had this problem with the VDI 2.x

Anyone know of a way to override VMware View, so that it cancels the customization process ?

0 Kudos
AlbertFish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a case opened now.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The common theme for my VM's that receive the time out message is the NIC options for connecting at startup fail to toggle after the VM is deployed. When this happens the VM just sits there idle unable to get a DHCP address or proceed with any of the first run task and eventually will fail with the customization time out error. I have will update if I find anything else.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
LundfeJE
Contributor
Contributor

I have yet to find a common denominator

ESX 3.5 (Local Storage)

VI 2.5 Update 2.0

VMWare View 3.0.0-127642

Only 1 out of 6 of the originall provisioned work. Restarting the VMWare View agent, servers, vm's etc doesn't remove the 'Customization Operation Timed Out' error

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I think I have this problem corrected in my problem. I ended up removing the Symantec AV client from the template and have now been able to successfully deploy 3 pools with a 100 percent sucess rate. This template worked fine pre View 3.0 and was used in several successfully deployments so I figure it must be some type of incompatibility with the View 3.0 agent and Symantec. I hope this helps.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Goliath222
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

for us problems where solved by opening Port 4001 (JMS) between the Desktops and the View Connection Server.After resetting or restarting View Agent in the Desktops they connected and appeared in status Ready. Smiley Happy

Regards

Oliver

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for sharing your resolution.

0 Kudos
mikeforbes
Contributor
Contributor

We're experienced something very similar. Found the root of the cause...no View Agent was installed on the templates. Once the Agent was installed, a new snapshot was done and a NEW pool was created from that new snapshot, the pool created fine.

0 Kudos
philforrest
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed, I will second the solution with opening Port 4001. That did the job for us.

Thanks again to the great people on this board,

Phil Forrest

0 Kudos
jrVMguy
Contributor
Contributor

We were having an issue that was similar to this in that we were seeing the desktop in the pool as ready but then once we logged in and disconnected we were getting the customization timed out error. our problem was US :smileysilly: as we don't have a DHCP server on the network segment we are using for our View testing and we can not have a DHCP server on that network segment. We are manually assigning IPs to the desktops until this goes to production and we can set up a network segment with a DHCP server on it.

We also had the the pool setup to refresh the OS disc on disconnect at which point it set the IP address back to DHCP and no address. Once we entered the IP addresses everything was ok again, until the next disconnect. We have since changed our pool to NEVER reset the OS disk.

0 Kudos
TheKubMI
Contributor
Contributor

We recently ran into the same issue.

Was able to deploy from template fine but would fail customizing when being setup as a pool. Out of all the different master images we had we missed installing the view agent on the master image in question. oops...

0 Kudos
andreleibovici
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I faced a similar problem when the Customization would time-out and no IP address (DHCP) would be assigned to the newly created virtual workstation. I also noticed that Network Interface was not connected and also not connecting even manually. VMware ESX had over 56 virtual machines and I had to upgrade the number of virtual switch ports to 120 to allow new machines to connect to the network and get IP address. After that the customization started working once again.

0 Kudos
jusrr
Contributor
Contributor

Ciphercode,

Were you ever able to solve your customization issue ? I know i has been a while but I am curious to know for a list of possible customization issues.

J

Message was edited by: jusrr

Figured out my problem it was twofold. Port 4001 from the desktops to the Connection server wasn't open and had to remove the AV software.

0 Kudos
TheKubMI
Contributor
Contributor

edit maybe I should read before posting.

0 Kudos
Gewehr_43
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old thread but maybe this will help some other folks...

Ran into this problem this morning after a couple long weeks of troubleshooting automated desktop VM pools. Turns out in doing so, we ended up running out of DHCP addresses in our scope. Every time we'd provision a new machine, it would lease out an IP address, so we had dozens of duplicate entries for each linked clone VM in our DHCP lease pool. For the moment, the problem was solved by simply deleting the duplicate entries, though a more long-term fix will be needed. We do not have any AV on our linked clone VM's and port 4001 is open, so those didn't affect us.

0 Kudos
cperkins001
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I also had this problem and after reading the thread it made me think that the ports were not open. An NMAP scan confirmed that the ports on the View server were not listening - I remembered that I shutdown the Windows Firewall but hadn't rebooted yet.  Just rebooted View Connection server and customizations are completing.

Chris

0 Kudos