VMware Horizon Community
jseadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Cursor Lag

Brand new Horizon 7.1 deployment with two Cisco C240 hosts and one Tesla M60 card per host.

Our deployment method now is dedicated linked-clones. The issue I have noticed during testing is a very slight cursor delay using the thick client. Cursor delay is only slightly better in the HTML5 client, but still noticeable. This issue persists even when plugged directly into the local LAN.

Also, we are using VMware Blast as the preferred protocol.

Any suggestions?

3 Replies
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using vGPU and the latest Nvidia drivers for the M60? The easiest test to determine if this is an issue with networking or protocol (Blast, PCOIP, RDP) is to create a new pool using RDP. Typically there will be a stark difference in 2D graphics performance which indicates an issue with PCOIP or Blast protocol.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
jseadmin
Contributor
Contributor

vGPU is working successfully with latest drivers from NVIDIA. I've also double checked GRID licensing.

I've done a little reading on Blast vs PCOIP and it sounds like Blast will offer superior performance in CAD over PCOIP. Overall, graphics performance is solid with the exception of the very slight delay in cursor movement.

I'll give the RDP pool a shot and see if performance differs.

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is odd that the graphics performance is solid but the cursor movement is delayed. Usually, slow mouse cursor or typing is an indication of a protocol or networking issue. Because, the cursors are just small screen refreshes at the end of the day.

I'll add some additional troubleshooting steps I have used in the past on troubleshooting vGPU graphics performance issues.

1. One odd step that has helped me in version 7.x and VMware could not explain why, is disable H.264 encoding. Sounds counter-productive but it is an easy test because both the server and client must have it enabled. You can disable client side via the Horizon View Client settings or HTML 5 Client Settings. Then login to fresh desktop.

2. Check the Blast GPO, verify the settings are correct for your environment. The bandwidth thresholds and frames per second are examples of items to typically keep at default while troubleshooting.

3. If your focusing on Blast, the log location is different from PCOIP. C:\Programdata\VMware\VMware Blast\

1. These logs have good information such as resolution, hardware acceleration, and latency.
  2. I also recommend enabling debug log level on the agent - Collecting VMware Horizon View logs and diagnostic information (1017939) | VMware KB

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos