VMware Horizon Community
royberk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Creation of new Pool sets VMs in Root of Datastore

We are using VC 5.0 and View 5.0

When we create a pool, we notice that the VMs that are created are placed in the root of the datastore.

Is there anyway to change the location of the VMs being created in the datastore?

Instead of being created on DS1/

Can they be placed on DS1/LinkedClones/ ....

This would need to be done in the clone setup I would think because moving the folder after they have been created would mess up the lookup/location.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Create a pool, with provisioning disabled (In the wizard , uncheck the option" Enable provisioning)

Go to Connection Server ADSI edit, from Server Group double click the pool name

edit the pae-vmDatastore appending the folderpath. Once done , from pool inventory enable the provisioning

- This is my guess. Try it at own risk

0 Kudos
royberk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone else have a more concrete answer?

I can def. try this for new pools, but what about for existing pools where all of the VMs are now in the Root folder of the datastore?

0 Kudos
royberk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For anyone else that may be curious, this does not work.

What happens is as follows:

You disable provisioning on the pool.

Go into ADSI Edit and change the pae-VMDatastore string.I specified something like /Datastore/Subfolder as the path we want the VMs to reside in.

Then you go into your settings to provision more VMs through that pool and select ok. Then you enable the pool. The VMs create, but in the root folder still.

I found, that the second you hit ok in the Pool Setup Wizard to create new VMs in that pool, it takes the info from the Datastore select screen , and overrides the ADSI pae-VMDatastore string.

So instead of going to the changed /Datastrore/Subfolder

It goes to the default /Datastore folder.

I will contact VMWare support directly to see if there is a way around this, but Im thinking that there must be users out there that dont want their VMs to default to the root folder of a datastore.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos