VMware Horizon Community
HPU-ADM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Creating a mandatory user profile for windows 10

I'm in the process of moving from using microsoft redirected profile to UEM. Part of the documentation with UEM is to use a mandatory profile in conjunction with UEM.  I've tried a couple of different methods for creating a mandatory profile, found through google but haven't gotten anything right from them.

Anyone got a straight forward instructions or link to generate a mandatory profile?

I'm going to be using this with a windows 10 1903 image. I'm sure that doesn't matter. I do already have a fresh and clean install of a windows 1903 vm, and was hoping to use that to create the man. profile.

Tags (1)
16 Replies
Moltron83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are using Windows 10 1903 with UEM / Mandatory profile.  This guide details exactly what to do: Creating an Optimized Windows Image for a VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop | VMware   and though its not updated for 1903, the mandatory profile us still .v6.  You'll know what I mean when you get to that section.  We are not into production with VDI - windows 10 yet.  Noticed some issues with the copyprofile flag when doing sysprep, and I'm not all that impressed with using mandatory profiles to speed things up.  I may try out the image by just doing default profile customization. 

cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You are not required to use UEM with mandatory profile. Considering all the issues surround mandatory profile, I would always advise against it in windows 10. You can obtain great login time, if that is what you seek, without mandatory profile. I get 11s login time with local profile.

0 Kudos
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

cbaptiste

What optimizations have you done to get to a 11s login time?

0 Kudos
HPU-ADM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll take a look at this later. Since I'm just starting out it may be better I get the envrionment up and configured and then see if i need to use a mandatory profile.

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can send you the steps I took next week when I get back. I am currently out of town.

0 Kudos
Moltron83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wanted to update what I wrote earlier.  We've dumped the use of mandatory profiles and are just doing all the customization to the default profile instead.  We realized no benefit in going this way after doing a bunch of testing.  Actually because mandatory profiles does not work properly with newer version of windows 10 - like 1903, we moved away from it.  So has VMware if you look at their vdi tuning guide now.

geoffreykobrien
Contributor
Contributor

I would recommend not using mandatory profiles after 1809.

flatleyld
Contributor
Contributor

cbaptiste

Can you post those steps? I'm having insane logon times as of now, so your insight would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

They are no longer working for versions later than 1803. Let me ask you this. Have you tried the latest VMware Optimization Tool? I am getting the same login time with it without any additional modifications.

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also I am using DEM.

0 Kudos
flatleyld
Contributor
Contributor

cbaptiste

I have used the optimization tool, and it does more harm than good for me. It breaks things like the time and date disappearing, power settings aren't what I set them to, and other things. I'm having a hard time changing settings back for new users. I'm hoping I don't have to rebuild. I just can't get DEM to do anything, and so logon times are horrendous.

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is actually true. The idea is to go through the changes and only apply the things that you are comfortable with otherwise it will create a lot of issues. Or you can create your own template which is what I normally do.

0 Kudos
flatleyld
Contributor
Contributor

Any idea how to reverse the changes made by the tool?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

It depends on the tool, and newer versions are better at backing out some changes. In general its probably better to start over and test a few at a time to see where the issue is, and might be a good idea to look at automating building it so you don't have to worry about when you do need to rebuild it. Take a look at

https://virtualhobbit.com/2019/10/01/automating-vdi-template-creation-with-vmware-code-stream-and-ha...

For a good article, I based my work of his.

In regards to some of your issues your seeing, I'd start with a test pool without the optimization tool ran and one with and nothing else to rule out anything else. In general the optimizations by default shouldn't cause issues with a base windows install, its when it runs into other customizations you need to make.

cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My recommendation to you is to start from scratch as sjesse​ suggested and moving forward snapshot your golden image at each major steps. That way if something goes wrong you can always revert to a previous snapshot rather than start over from scratch.

0 Kudos
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not have tool in front of me at the moment, but there is a section or tab that shows what registry changes were made for each item in the template. Then you can track down the registries and change them back. It is very tedious.

0 Kudos