VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Creating The Master Image

When going thru the creation of the master image again, after the OS is installed, you are told to do CTRL+SHIFT=F3 to enter Audit mode.  Once i do that the vm reboots and i am prompted with a System Prep Tool.  Just curious why this keeps happening after every reboot and what options need to be selected.  I never seen this on the previous master i created.  This is Win10 Ent LTSC (1809).  Any input is welcome.  Thanks

Super6VCA_0-1608148350839.png

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Your in audit mode, you need to run the oobe mode and generalize to get that to go away. This link should bring you right there

https://techzone.vmware.com/creating-optimized-windows-image-vmware-horizon-virtual-desktop#_1193143

if not its the  "Use the OSOT Generalize Tab to Run Sysprep" section

View solution in original post

8 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Your in audit mode, you need to run the oobe mode and generalize to get that to go away. This link should bring you right there

https://techzone.vmware.com/creating-optimized-windows-image-vmware-horizon-virtual-desktop#_1193143

if not its the  "Use the OSOT Generalize Tab to Run Sysprep" section

Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That is the KB i was following .  Got to step 11 and that is when it all fell apart.  I selected Audit mode (Or is that just for server edition)?  There is no info on this in that KB at tis point

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The other option is to just select the oobe option you have in your image, you'll get the windows setup again that you can run through. Following those steps should work though.  Its  a desktop thing that windows has done for a bit, I remember doing it I think as far back as xp

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-8.1-and-8/hh824920(v=win.1...

Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That is what i was in the process of doing.  Just want to follow the rules for the Master.  The VDI setup i have currently is OK but it can definately use a new look.  Starting over from Scratch and trying to utilize APPVOL and DEM if possible.  Had a tough time of it a long time ago and had to give up on it.  Looking for betting things this time around.  Thanks for all the help!!  You Rock!!!  

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

sjesse,

Hate to revisit this but ran into a road block and it relates to this link.  I just went thru the regular install (since i couldn't get by that box that keeps coming up after reboot) as you suggested and one I got to the GENERALIZE portion of the Opt Tool i got the message that i was NOT in Audit mode and will not let me continue.  Just looking for a trick here is all.  This is the first image that i ran into this issue going into audit mode.  Not sure if it's a version issue.  Anyhow i am just reaching for anything.  Will vmware support assist with this or is that outside the realm??   Just want to say also that I do appreciate all the support you guys provide.  

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yeah, they should help, I can't guarantee it since I don't work for VMware, I just help out here a lot.  For your question though, if your not in audit mode then you can't do the generalize part which is whats that is saying.  You can just manually run sysprep.exe and go into audit mode

then rerun the optimization tool . The copy profile part is what is the reason for audit mode, it lets the changes done by the optimizer done be copied to the default profile, and is the only supported way of doing that. 

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure i can.  Didn't want to try it though.  Maybe i will give it a shot before starting over.  Thanks again and have a great weekend

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Where you at you can always take a snapshot and revert if it doesn't look right.

0 Kudos