VMware Horizon Community
reyrey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Create linked clone the requests refers to an object that no longer exists or has never existed

Does anyone out here have this issue?

I am evaluating VMWare View manager using View Composer (all the latest version). I am trying to deploy an automated pool. When the automated persistent pool tries to provision a workstation I would receive a provision error (missing) Desktop Composer VcFault from the desktop sources tab on View Admin. I can see that the communication is working with Virtual Center, but the error message I get is when VC tries to create the linked clone I get the requests refers to an object that no longer exists or has never existed. The ESX servers are in a cluster, I have a resource pool for it, I can add the desktop indiviually to View Admin, but is unable to provision utilizing linked clone. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have tried to reinstall Composer (on Virtual Center) recreating the database to no avail. View admin setting has Composer setting enabled, the service is started, Connection server is not a DC. However the Virtual Center/Composer server are on a physical server, which is also a Domain Controller (hopefully that is not an issue). All ESX servers are ESX 3.5 U3 + recently released patches, Virtual Center is also U3.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I had the same issue.

As the post above mentions, I made the golden image hard disk "no idependant"

This seemed to fix the specific error that was appearing, and indeed the VMs were now being provisioned.

Edit VM > Choose HARD DISK 1 > Mode > Uncheck Independant.

(You will need to ensure that you have removed all snapshots; make a new snapshot once you have saved these settings.

I am still having trouble getting connected to the provisioned VM, but at least I have got rid of this error. Onto the next stage.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
JimmyG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have the samething here...but this is on a VM.

No clue yet why....

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am getting the exact same error here - "Provisioning error (missing)... Desktop Composer vcFault" And from VC server... "Name: **NO LABEL FOR: VirtualMachine.register.Vm" ... "Status: The request refers to an unexpected or unknown type".

Did you find out what the issue was/is?

Thanks

tait

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are your View Connections Servers and your vCenter server in the same Domain, if not is there a valid trust set up and does the account used for the connection have the necessary rights and priviledges in the VC domain.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes they're in the same domain. This is a dev environment and there is only one domain built speciffically for this purpose.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

have you still got a snap shot on the master machine?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't have access to the environment at the moment but will check when back there tomorrow re: if the snapshot still exists.

0 Kudos
reyrey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is to keep the thread going......

All the servers and workstations are in the same domain and I used a domain admin account for all access, since this is just an evaluation. I am able to create an individual desktop workstation in View Administrator and it works flawlessly. I deleted the pool, power off the system, snapshot the system, and tried to used the automated pool, it still bombs with the same error message. Based on what I can tell, it is failing in Virtual Center, where it does not suceessfully create the linked clone. I verified that the snapshot was done after the XP workstation was down and View Administrator recognized it. One more thing that I wanted to add. One of my ESX servers in the cluster is also running VMWare Lab Manager. Will that run into conflict with the linked clone? Since Lab Manager is also using linked clone technology? Maybe those who have the same problem has Lab Manager agent loaded on their ESX servers? Couple last questions, how big is the snapshot file on the vmfs partition and the default location (mine is .vmsn file located with the virtual machines at about 19KB size) ? Is there an advanced settings for linked clone or snapshot that may need to be configured?

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Some more info - yes the original snapshot still exists. It's 19.12KB in size. Also I've installed ESX 3i, 3.5.0 build 123629. VC & ViewManager are two seperate VMs.The VC server has the following services: VC, AD, DHCP, DNS, NAT. The ViewManager has only ViewManager and is part of the doamin. Local storage. This problem is intermittent. I have been able to create an automated desktop pool using linked clones previously. The last time this problem existed I deleted the failed desktop pool and desktop resources and tried again. Worked once and now the problem is back.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JimmyG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My issue is solve, issue what that the XP Vm what not in the domain.

If you receving error you may want to look at the log file on your connection server C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VDM\logs

that will help you

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I checked the VDM logs and this is the error line :

15:38:02,225 ERROR <PendingOperation-/cbrvdi-POC/vm/WinXPsp3/WinXPsp3-2> Desktop Composer VcFault: see event log for full error - Unknown - <fault xsi:type="InvalidType" xmlns="urn:internalvim25" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <argument>[class VpxdMoVm:02E72ED4]</argument>

"cbrvdi-POC" is the name of my DataCentre. "WinXPsp3" is the name of my VM.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

can you confirm that your VC is 2.5U3 and your Hosts are running ESX or ESXi 3.5U3

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VC server is 2.5.0 build 104215. ESX is 3i, 3.5.0 build 123629. Will upgrade shortly.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well we have hit the nail on the head, you need to be at U3 on both vCenter and ESX. Read the pre-requistes in the manual

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok thanks for your help. I'll upgrade the VC and see if this resolves the issue. I'll post back to confirm.

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So now have upgraded the VC server to 2.5.0 Build 119598 (U3) and the ESX 3i server is at 3.5.0 Build 123629 as before. This issue is still present.

To note that my entire infrastructure is licensed as eval if that makes any difference. To recap - VC, VDM, AD servers are VMs all on the same physical server with local storage. One domain with one domain controller. VC & VDM as well as VMs are members of that domain.

When I create an automated desktop pool using linked clones, the task fails with the error "Provisioning error... Desktop Composer VcFault: see event log for full error". And from the events in View Administrator - "Pool control for desktop winxpsp3 is disabling provisioning due to a clone error". And also this one - "Desktop Composer VcFault: see event log for full error - Unknown - <fault xsi:type="InvalidType" xmlns="urn:internalvim25" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <argument>[class VpxdMoVm:05880EFC]</argument> </fault>

0 Kudos
reyrey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

taits,

Looks like we have the same issue. Latest ESX Update 3 with the latest patches, VC 2.5 with U3. The only Eval license I have is for the VDM. The rest are fully licensed. I have mixed local and SAN storage, the XP master image is in the domain. My VC server is a physical server with AD,DNS, DHCP, SQL Virtual Center. My VDM connection server is a virtual server dedicated for VMD connection. All of which is in the domain. i even get the same error "Provisioning error... Desktop Composer VcFault: see event log for full error". I haven't had time to work on this as I have production systems to maintain. Hopefully we are not the only one with the issue........

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

have you had a pervious version of VDM or View Beta on these machines. if so unistall and then run Microsoft installed cleaner to clear out any evidence. then reinstall.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
dawho9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If anyone else wants some error messages to view here is mine. Attached is the relevent portion of the composer log file as it attempts to create the linked clone. The same error message is the one thrown in the VIC with the attached as my error messages. Yep, upgraded to Update 3 on both vCenter and ESX. Also, never had the old version of VDM/VDI installed on this server so it's fresh.

Richard

0 Kudos
daleallenc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Similar issue here, but even weirder. . .

Evaluating VMware View. I also have an evaluation version of VIC (v2.5, build 119598), running a single datacenter, with two hosts running ESXi (v3.5, 123629). Both of the hosts are on the same subnet. All storage is local to each host. I have guests running (standard) Connection Server and VIC in an Active Directory domain (2 x DCs which are separate servers).

So here's the problem: On the first host (machine name ESX2), I can create and run persistant and non-persistant linked clones without any problems. However, using the same Connection Server, with the same VIC, in the same datacenter, it fails when using the second host (ESX3) with the same error message reyrey receives. I've tried creating new VMs or importing them from the very same successful VM on ESX2 - still no go.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos