VMware Horizon Community
vmking
Contributor
Contributor

Create Windows 11 Golden Image for Horizon 8

Hello Horizon Community

I need to create a new Windows 11 Golden Image for a customer and find very sparse information and best practice approaches also regarding TPM configurations, etc. Are there any recommendations, experiences and approaches from your side on how to best create a Windows 11 Golden Image for Horizon 8? I have only found the two VMware articles KB85960 and 88320.

2 Replies
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Since the Golden Image must not have a vTPM (as a unique vTPM is added to each clone by Horizon) it does introduce this problem of how to install Windows 11 without vTPM to create the Golden Image (given that Windows 11 requires vTPM).  KB85960 provides links to two supported methods that achieve this.  The first uses a Win PE ISO, the second is a fully-automated method that uses MDT.  These work well to create Windows 11 Golden Images for Horizon.  Have you been able to try either of these methods?  

I'd also recommend looking at the Imager Fling, which can be used to create Windows 11 Golden Image using VMware Workstation.

Jon

0 Kudos
vmking
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you John for your reply. I have tested the variant with WinPE and the creation with this variant I could cleanly install a Windows 11 image without TPM.