VMware Horizon Community
Vitaly91
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Couple of View 4 questions

Guys,

I am trying to get a clarification on couple of things that hav e to do with View 4 and PCoIP. It seems that people have different ideas on how things work and what is possible.

Question 1: If you are using a dedicated hardware box (workstation) that has Teradici hardware card and you want to connect to it using a thin client and View 4, do you need to install View 4 agent on that dedicated hardware? Another words, would you need BOTH - hardware card AND View agent in order to connect to it thru thin client and View?

Question 2 (easier one): Can we connect to Linux desktop using View 4? I know we can connect FROM Linux desktop thru Web portal to View. But can we connect TO Linux VM?

Thank you in advance for the help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KenUnger
Contributor
Contributor

Vitaly91,

re: View4.0 and Teradici hardware card

For virtual desktops with the View 4 agent installed you can connect via PCoIP from a View Client on a TC/PC or from the integrated view client in Teradici-based zero-clients (i.e Wyse P20, Samsung NC190/240, etc).

For workstations with the View 4 agent installed and with the Teradici host card installed (i.e it compresses the output(s) of the GPU) you can connect using View from Teradici-based zero-clients. Note that a Teradici provided driver needs to be installed on the workstation which allows the connect/disconnect state of the card to be controlled by the View agent. This driver has not yet been released, although that is imminent. With the View 4.0 soft client, you cannot connect to the Teradici host card, but that will be supported in an upcoming release.

Hope this answers your question.

Ken

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Well the answer is yes and no,

as the other poster has stated, virtual desktops with the View 4 agent installed can connect

via PCoIP from a View Client on a TC/PC or from the integrated view

client in Teradici-based zero-clients (i.e Wyse P20, Samsung NC190/240,

etc). however you must have the View agent, yes you need both however they are already integrated into the client.

For workstations the answer is slightly more complicated, when the View 4 agent is installed together with a Teradici

host card, Yes the ability to connect using view is posible you

can connect using View from Teradici-based zero-clients. However remember that a

Teradici provided driver needs to be installed on the workstation to

allow the connect/disconnect state of the card to be controlled by the

View agent currently this driver has not yet been released, personally I have no knowledge about release date, but the other poster states it should be sooner rather than later.

As to utilising the View 4.0 soft client, this is currently not an option as you cannot connect to the

Teradici host card, however that will be supported in an later release.

As to question 2 the answer is No as there is no Linux Desktop agent for the broker to manage. the documentation states supported Desktop targets.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]".

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Vitaly91
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for a quick answer guys!

To clarify, you are saying that it is currently impossible to connect to a workstation

that has Teradici card installed. Is this correct?

Even if you have both - view agent and Teradici card - installed

without the Teradici driver for the view agent it will not work.

Did I understand you right?

As such, am I correct thinking that currently the only way to connect to a workstation

would be by use View agent and RDP. Correct?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

No you can utilse the View software client to connect to PCoIP on the guest VM, but currently you cannot utilise the hardware card.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Vitaly91
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you, Tom. That is what I understood.

Does anyone know if one Teradici card can talk to many other Teradici cards simultaniously?

0 Kudos