VMware Horizon Community
savoy6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Correct Monitor Drivers for View Image

Guys,

I need a sanity check. Windows 7 parent image, View 5.1, WYSE P20 zero client, latest 4.x firmware.

View 5.1.0 build 704644, VMware SVGA 3D Version 7.14.1.1080 Date: 4/17/2012 Video driver displayed in the parent VM settings.

Customer complains that the monitor displays generic driver, and thinks that the display should display Dell.

The Parent VM is an encapsulated VM that does not see the monitor as a piece of needed hardware, as the VM is being provisioned from the back end through the zero client. I have searched and cannot find anything that shows that a monitor driver should be included in the parent image.

Am I on track, or totally off base?

Please educate me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Savoy 6

Did you power down the VMs before the storage?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CameronUBC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're correct as far as I know. We have 875 desktops and they're all generic drivers, with no user complaints. The question you should be asking the user "what is the end goal you're trying to accomplish?". The monitor could say "Magnet box" for all I care if it works correctly. This sounds like a case of the user having a problem and diagnosing it him/herself and assuming it is a driver issue when it's probably not. View behaves differently than a regular PC when it comes to monitor and input devices.

I believe the monitor driver is generic (not in vmware tools/agent like other drivers). My guess is that the monitor driver doesn't even do anything anyway other than support any resolution that the video driver does.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CameronUBC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're correct as far as I know. We have 875 desktops and they're all generic drivers, with no user complaints. The question you should be asking the user "what is the end goal you're trying to accomplish?". The monitor could say "Magnet box" for all I care if it works correctly. This sounds like a case of the user having a problem and diagnosing it him/herself and assuming it is a driver issue when it's probably not. View behaves differently than a regular PC when it comes to monitor and input devices.

I believe the monitor driver is generic (not in vmware tools/agent like other drivers). My guess is that the monitor driver doesn't even do anything anyway other than support any resolution that the video driver does.

0 Kudos
savoy6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I agree, magnet...I like that:). It is a customer education process, and I have explained the differences between a physical and virtual environment, but it is a culture change going to a 100% VDI environment. We went from physical to 600 vDesktops in 2 days. Meaning that one day they were 100% physical, and the next day they moved into a new building with 100% vDesktop. Culture change, not performance change as the performance with the exception of high end graphics is much better and th admin overhead is great, but the transition for the user and the O&M supporting the product is a bit different.

Thanks for your comments and sanity check. Please give me 48 hours and I will award points.

Thanks CameronUBC

Did you power down the VMs before the storage?
0 Kudos