VMware Horizon Community
cool_guy2
Contributor
Contributor

Copy / Paste doesn't work

I am using browser to access Horizon View 5.2 virtual desktops. I am also trying to configure Copy / Paste feature, but can't seem to make it work. Here is what I did sofar:

Create OU for the Virtual desktops. Create GPO, attached pcoip.adm template to this GPO and configured the following parameters:

• Computer Configuration-->Policies-->Administrative Template-->Classic Administrative Templates (ADM)-->Not Overridable Administrator Settings

Configure clipboard redirection

Enabled in both directions

Configure PCoIP virtual channels:

Disable all virtual channels other than mksvchan

Am I missing anything?

Thank you in advance,

Serge

0 Kudos
16 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you are using the HTML Blast option to access the desktop then I don't believe copy/paste between client and VDI desktop are supported.     Given the changes you made it should work if you use the View client to access the desktop.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

is right, using HTML  based access of virtual desktop , copy / paste between client machine and desktop will not work.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

With View 5.3 (released today) copy/paste is now supported with HTML based access.

Also now you will get sound!

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
cool_guy2
Contributor
Contributor

I installed  5.3 today and Copy/Paste only work in one direction (From desktop to VDI desktop). Can someone confirm that Copy/Paste only work in one direction.

Also I have been playing with Connection Client but can only copy/Paste in one direction as well.

0 Kudos
brokenj
Contributor
Contributor

One day I'm sure vmware will update their documentation online to match the 5.3 product. However google helped me find this document:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/horizon-view/horizon-view-html-access-document.pdf

Page 16 describes the group policy setting "Configure Clipboard Redirection"

Set it to "Enabled in Both Directions".

You have to copy the group policy template file from one of your Guests with the feature pack installed.

I can confirm that this works as described. You get copy / paste in both directions. You also get a message when you copy in the guest informing you how to copy the data back through the HTML5 client.

0 Kudos
cool_guy2
Contributor
Contributor

I make copy and paste work in both direction using Connection client, but I am still having trouble doing copy and paste in HTML. It works only in one directions (from desktop to VDI).

0 Kudos
brokenj
Contributor
Contributor

I'm talking about the HTML access feature. Read the link I posted.

0 Kudos
cool_guy2
Contributor
Contributor

I went through the pdf files that you referenced and enable Clipboard in both direction as suggested. I still can not make Copy/Paste to work properly. It seems that the only way to do it is to use "Paste Text" feature from blast bar. But this only works from client to Virtual desktop and not vice versa.

Is there anything else I am missing.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Are you using the 5.3 agent and the corresponding featurepack?
Could you try another browser?

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
cool_guy2
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am. I upgraded everything to version 5.3 and recompose my pools.

I also tried it with Firefox and Chrome with the same results.

0 Kudos
TonyHuynh201110
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

With View 5.3 and HTML access client 2.2, you can copy and paste in both directions.  Please verify whether your GPOs allow this.

0 Kudos
cool_guy2
Contributor
Contributor

yes I have verified that Clipboard redirection enabled in both direction.

0 Kudos
AllieWu
Contributor
Contributor

After enabling clipboard in both directions via Blast-enUS.adm and applying the GPO to the desktop, you should be able to see a "Get Copied Text" item at the blast bar. If no, I suspect blast GPO doesn't work in your env. How about changing other GPO setting to see whether all Blast GPO don't work or just clipboard? "Audio playback" is a easy one to try.

0 Kudos
cool_guy2
Contributor
Contributor

I do see that option on the task bar. The problem that I am having is that I can't copy any text into the box. According to the documentation, I should be able to copy text, open "Get copied Text" box (the copied text should appear in the box) and then select copy and paste it into your desktop.

In my case, when I open box text is not appear in it. I tried it in IE10, IE11, Firefox and Chrome.

0 Kudos
AllieWu
Contributor
Contributor

Could you please confirm you have actually copied some ‘text’ in your virtual desktop? Selecting the text, right clicking and "Copy" would be safer than Ctrl+C in the virtual desktop. You can also open a notepad in the virtual desktop and try to paste into it, to ensure there exist some text in your virtual desktop's clipboard.

If you have actually copied some text in the virtual desktop, then open "Get Copied Text" box but nothing appears, I suggest turning on your browser's developer tools and checking the error in the console log. For example, for Chrome, the path to turn on console log is Tools -> Developer tools -> Console.

Btw, what is your local client's OS?

0 Kudos
brokenj
Contributor
Contributor

Well I can confirm after further testing that the 'Get Copied Text', and 'Paste Text' always appear after setting the appropriate group policy. I can also confirm that the sound also works after setting the appropriate group policy.

However the "Get Copied Text" functionality is inconsistent in its behavior. It went from working reliably to not working at all in most browsers.

If I restart the blast service on the Guest VM's, and reconnet the web client, then "Get copied text" works as expected.

Very strange. I guess I should open a ticket.

0 Kudos