VMware Horizon Community
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Convert standard desktop VM to thin provisioned VM - possible?

The subject line pretty much says it all. Now that we have implemented VMware View 3 and seeing the significant value it brings, I have several existing VMs that I would like to somehow "convert" to thin provisioned VMs. As they are now, they take up too much storage and, as a result, they are also too large to check out using the View Client. Does anyone know if this is possible and, if so, how to go about it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

One way would be to create a new thin provisioned VM in View Manager and then image over from your existing VM with Ghost or similar.

I don't think vmkfstools is going to help even though it can create thin provisioned disks.

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos