VMware Horizon Community
LoZ
Contributor
Contributor

Control size of VMware Horizon View Blast logs

Hi all,

We have a problem affecting some of our VDIs which are accessed using the BLAST protocol. The logs created on the client machine (in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Blast) can get to many GB in size. This in turn has caused issues with the C: drive filling up and VDIs going into a state of 'Agent Unreachable' due to the lack of disk space.

Is there any way of controlling the size of these logs, at what size they should loop/overwrite, etc?

As a workaround we have a job running on log out to remove the contents of the aforementioned folder, but in the event of a) a user staying logged in for days or longer, and b) needing those logs for troubleshooting, it's not a very satisfactory one.

The VDI OS is Windows 7, with Horizon View Agent v7.0.0 running on them.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
KevLarUNH
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having this issue.  The files in question are located in %windir%\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Blast and are labelled blast-service.log and blast-worker-sessionId*.log.  These files grow in size and fill up the drive.  Is there anyway that I can turn this logging off or is it necessary?

Windows 7 X64

View 6.2.3 build-4126346

0 Kudos
a1s111
Contributor
Contributor

i also have this issue

0 Kudos
anpucci
Contributor
Contributor

I encountered the same problem that seems to arise from the erroneous binding of the Blast Service to the Internal VMware network IP (169.254.200....) rather then to the correct vlan IP address. This lead to the service's proxy talking on tcp 22443 to exit with error (about 50 debug log lines per second).

Opened today a SR to VMware.

- Andrea
nikalloz888
Contributor
Contributor

I also have same issue with horizon view 7.4

1) Tried to set log level using 'support.bat loglevels'

2) Tried to set log level HKLM\Software\Vmware Inc.\Vmware\Blast\Vvc

However Blast is logging at debug level and filling system drive.

nikoloz.qutidze@gmail.com

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

On my Windows 7 persistent desktop I have Horizon Agent 7.4.0 installed without the LC/IC component. My C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Blast directory has 46 items totaling 309 MB. I spot checked a dozen Windows 10 persistent linked clones and C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Blast directory has 1-5 items totaling anywhere from a few hundred KB to MB.

What quantity and sizes are you seeing? Is it a particular log? I'm noticing that Blast-Worker-SessionId1-00.log can be hundreds of MB.

0 Kudos
nikalloz888
Contributor
Contributor

There is two files in this directory C:\ProgramData\Vmware\Vmware Blast:

blast-service.log

blast-worker-sessionid1.log

Problem is with second file, which is growing sometimes up to 15GB, then new files are created.

I'm searching for some settings to set retention/maximum log size/log level for this file.

My email is nikoloz.qutidze@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you looked at the files to see if their is a repeating message? From spot checking my environment this is not normal. I'd recommend opening a case with support to see what is going on.

0 Kudos
axm3196
Contributor
Contributor

We got reports of this for the 1st time this week (We are on version 7.7). And it was addressed in 7.9. From Horizon View 7.9 release notes

Release Notes for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.9 Looked under What's new for Horizon Agent.

Blast log files rotation has been improved to take up less disk space and reduce production issues.

0 Kudos