VMware Horizon Community
HorizonUser
Contributor
Contributor

Constant pestering for Mac Keychain password

Anyone know how to stop VMware Horizon Client v 5.3.0 on the Mac to stop asking for the login keychain's password. It has no need for the access but at random times it'll get stuck in a loop where canceling the request pops up a new model dialog asking for the password.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
HorizonUser
Contributor
Contributor

May have found a work around. See if it lasts. I unlocked the key chain in the KeyChain app and the requests from Horizon app changed to requests to export private certificate keys out. Denied those but it still repeats the cycle requesting a private key copy from all my personal certs every few minutes.

0 Kudos
HorizonUser
Contributor
Contributor

Version 5.4.3 is even worse, bordering on unusable. Every time an app wants a certificate from the smart card it tries to copy the contents of the keychain into its app. Cycles with three modal dialog requests to copy all the private keys and then three requests to have access to the keychain then repeat. Can't even get to the VDI since the modal dialogs are always popping up. Sometimes it finally figures out to hit the smart card directly and stops asking for my soft certificates but very very poor implementation.

0 Kudos
hadrabap
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

The same is happening with Version 2103 Build 8.2.0 (17759009).

When a smart card is plugged in, Horizon starts to ask for access to all keys in KeyChain. Unfortunately I do use lot of programs which intensively use PKI which results in more than 20 private keys in my KeyChain.

Dismissing all the requests is impossible while the token is connected. The only way to get rid of it is to disconnect the token and dismiss all of the 20+ dialogs. This renders usage of security tokens while VMWare Horizon Client is running impossible. The Horizon Client is not responsive while the dialog is on-screen.

Thank you very much for resolution.

0 Kudos
hadrabap
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I think I solved the issue. I went through all my private keys with certificates and backed up and remove all expired ones from both login and system keychains. After that VMWare Horizon asked for single password which I granted permanently and it works fine. It works even when smart cards are being inserted and removed while Horizon Client is running.

0 Kudos
mal11
Contributor
Contributor

this appears to still be an issue in 2022. 

My wife works for a fortune 500 financial company. I installed Horizon Client per company's instructions on her Mac Mini and her Macbook Pro.  She uses Horizon Client to access a WIndows virtual instance and this seems to work reliably other than the Zoom VDI occasionally not passing audio to the desktop.

Both computers get these stupid keychain/accountsd loops that lock up the complete system. Finder is non-responsive and you can't start any other programs. The only solution is to leave a terminal window always running on the desktop to run 'sudo reboot' or to ssh into the machine to reboot it.

Either this is a bug, or someone at her employer is using Horizon Client to troll for personal passwords. I've seen weird examples of Horizon Client opening terminal and I think updating the client.  I can't open a ticket with Vmware since we don't have access to corporate account. And her corporate help desk is a useless call-center in a foreign country that will tell you just to reinstall Vmware Client (as if that hasn't been tried already)..... Almost as frustrating the Blackberry UEM software they use on her personal cell phone..... I should bill them for my time.

0 Kudos