VMware Horizon Community
tpagolfnut
Contributor
Contributor

Consolidating VCs

When I initially started my POC for View I installed the entire environment separately. Now that I have upgraded to vSphere and running linked VCs in my production environment I would like to also combine my View environment. I am thinking about, instead of linking my View VC, installing View Composer on my current production VC. Is anyone else running their production ESX environment and their VDI environment from the same VC?

Thanks...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We run our View environment in the same vCenter as our production ESX hosts. However, that is a small VDI environment, and as we look to expand, our plan currently is to isolate the VDI and Server hosting environments. The biggest reason being that View is tied to specific vCenter versions, and we cannot upgrade our vCenter / ESX environment as is until after View is updated.

Not that lagging behind is a bad thing, as the early adopters are welcome to find all the major bugs and get those ironed out before we update, but I would like some flexibility back.

Edit: I too am curious whether folks out there who have started one way or the other are looking to reverse those descisions and why...

0 Kudos
tpagolfnut
Contributor
Contributor

Good point. I forgot about how View only works with certain VC versions and is usually behind ESX. I guess I will keep it like it is for now.

Thanks..

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

One reason we started with a coupled environment was due to licensing. Since we were only targeting a small group, we bought a small chunk of View licenses. But now, with VMware's Premier Bundle licensing, that model allows a vCenter instance for the View environment.

Good luck either way.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We also run our View environment off our production server environment. I have given a lot of though to the second instance of VC for just VDI since I have been delayed on the last two upgrades.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos