VMware Horizon Community
MarAndreas
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Considerations when changing vCenter Server Unique ID?

We have a minor problem with MAC address collisions, and to fix it, I want to change the vCenter Server Unique ID of our "View" vCenter Server.

(see KB1024025)

However, I'm concerned that there may be some side effects I'm unaware of, and decided this time I'd better ask before doing something stupid.

Is it safe to change the Unique ID of a vCenter Server used by VMware View?

Do I have to expect any effects other than newly generated MAC addresses being in a different range?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've gone through a reinstall of my vCenter machine using my existing db, but did not go back and change the Unique ID to what it was previously, and it caused no ill effects.  That being said, for consistency, I made them the same.  I know the ID to be used only for MAC and UUID's, so there should be no issues.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've gone through a reinstall of my vCenter machine using my existing db, but did not go back and change the Unique ID to what it was previously, and it caused no ill effects.  That being said, for consistency, I made them the same.  I know the ID to be used only for MAC and UUID's, so there should be no issues.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos