VMware Horizon Community
CTRIM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Connection server console message shows "DETECTED UNRECOGNIZED REQUESTS"

We recently updated to Horizon 8. Since then, we are seeing multiple console errors...

Connection server console message shows "DETECTED UNRECOGNIZED REQUESTS"

UAG shows "BROKER DETECTED UNRECOGNIZED SESSIONS"

Has anyone seen these and or come up with a resolution? I cannot find any mention on the net or in kbs.

Edit 07-10-23 We are using F5 load balancer.

58 Replies
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

According to vmware, it can be ignored.

Dashboard alerts for unrecognized requests for XML Api protocol connection in Horizon 2209 (8.7) (90...

But, it prevents us from paying attention when there are real issues.

jmacdaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/90398

Scroll down to the Cause and Resolution sections where you will see:

Cause

This is caused when a user is trying to connect to the connection server with an expired session cookie.

Resolution

These alerts are harmless and can be ignored.

I think the "session cookie" refers to saved SSO credentials on the Horizon Client that are discarded after the length of time specified in the Servers -> Global Settings -> Discard SSO Credentials setting.  If a user disconnects from their desktop and tries to reconnect to the pool after the SSO credential expiration period has elapsed, it will kick off this alert on the broker or UAG.  If I am wrong about this, hopefully someone will chime in.

MP-CAE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey @CTRIM - we've been having the same issues of the Alert "Detected Unrecognized Requests" being displayed on Horizon's Dashboard similar to the following since we upgraded from Horizon 7.x to 8:

MPCAE_0-1684347698308.png

When we drill into the details for the affected CS a bit more we don't get much better info except that there are "XML API Unrecognized Requests":

MPCAE_1-1684347879634.png

MPCAE_2-1684347887626.png

We don't use UAGs but instead some F5 appliances in our case.  Also the server may vary as well as the number of unrecognized requests - oh and in fact sometimes no CS are actually listed ... just that there are issues 😕

We tried to poke VMware support for more details on this and they came to a similar conclusion that they were just "noise" and could be ignored.

Unfortunately I'm not super thrilled about that response since as I think was mentioned, it kind of makes a mess on the Dashboard's System Health section and could lead to accidentally ignoring real alerts.  I wish there was a was to totally suppress these alerts if they are indeed totally ignorable ... aheem VMware gods if you are listening ... 🙂

In any case - anyone come across a fix of sorts that they know works please post it here.

VMHero4Ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

same issue in our environments since upgrading from 2206 to 2303.

We using F5 as a Loadbalancer. It seems to be a cosmetic issue without any impact. But would be nice to suppress these error messages in UI.

I also have a support ticket open but the support guy don't know how to fix it.

ZeroJC
Contributor
Contributor

We just recently upgraded from 2111 to 2303 and are seeing the same Alerts.  I just opened a ticket with vmware and they want me to disable our internal and external Load Balancers.  Is this something they had you do or wanting you to do?

MP-CAE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They had never asked us to disable that when we were investigating, and to me that seems a little excessive to test in a "production" environment that is actively being used!

It's also frustrating that at least in our case the only change in the infra that triggered these messages was moving from Horizon 7.x to 8.

Also interesting to note is that our larger prod infra has the messages where as a smaller hardly used one does not have any - although both are using F5 appliances. 🤷‍

VMHero4Ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So it looks like everyone of us is using F5 as a load balancer?

MP-CAE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well we have F5s and you seem to also, but CTRIM above makes reference to a UAG but not specifically an F5 (we don't have any UAG).  So it's tough to say if the F5 is part of the culprit without having a larger sample base of other folks with issues I suppose.

Does anyone else with the issue I wonder have the following combinations?

1. Just and F5 and not any UAG (like myself)
  2. Just a UAG and not any F5
  3. A combination of UAG and F5
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We use F5 with UAG's.

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

what os version and 8 version, we are using f5s and aren't, but I think our f5 os is a bit old last time I looked.

CTRIM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've edited my post. We use F5 --> Reverse Proxy UAG --> F5 --> UAG --> F5 --> Connection Brokers

ACorreia_21
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the Same issue. We use F5-->Connection servers. On prem access Only. I have removed the F5 from Load Balancing error has decreased but still shows up just not as often. 

Vmguy801
Contributor
Contributor

I have a few environments that I support with KEMP load balancers and one with some other brand that I dont recall the name. All have the same issues. Some with UAGs and some without. Its not a F5 issue, its related to any NLB in front of the servers.

I too wish vmware would add a check box to suppress this alert I am tired of having to tell my customers to ignore the alerts.

GCanuto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting question.

0 Kudos
CTRIM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like this was "fixed" in 2303. Sounds like UAG would need an update as well.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/90398

0 Kudos
Vmguy801
Contributor
Contributor

Not in the few environments I support. Still getting the messages on 2303 and 2306 UAG and connection servers match versions.

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Same with 2303 connection servers.

Although my UAG's might not be the latest.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
kendalgoodrich
Contributor
Contributor

I'm facing this same issue.

I just upgraded to 2303 Connection Servers with 2209.2 UAGs. External connections go through Citrix Netscaler LB and UAGs. Internal connections only go through Citrix Netscaler LB(No UAGs). Just opened an SR with VMWare, I'll see where it goes. Any recent updates from the community side?

0 Kudos
VMHero4Ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi have a support ticket opened since months --> SR 23441124806

Support sends me an undocumented property value for ADAM database but it doesn't changed anything.
Today I got a new mail that they work for an hotpatch for my environment. Sounds like that they think I am the only one with this issue 🙂

0 Kudos