VMware Horizon Community
umms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Connection Server service not working properly after upgrade

Hi,

Just upgraded to the latest 7.0.1. Have done many upgrades without an issue. I have two connections server 01, 02. After the upgrade I was not able to login to my main one - 01. After being able to login via 02 I checked the status and the box is red and says "The service is not working properly" Tried restarting the services and the box numerous times and no luck.

Any have any suggestions to troubleshoot this? Or have seen this before?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
bsguru
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

What is the upgrade path ? Is View admin page not loading for Connection server 01 ?,. Can you please check Connection server service status and also log messages.

"The service is not working properly" - This issue can occur if replication has failed between the Connection Servers, or if the time on one of the Connections Servers is out of sync.

Thanks

0 Kudos
umms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It was just an upgrade from 7.0 to 7.0.1. I cannot get anything to load on 01. And all services are running properly and have been rebooted/restarted numerous times. I also checked the time between the servers and they seem fine.

Just odd that it stopped working.

0 Kudos
bsguru
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Can you please check connection broker log for errors or exceptions.If possible please attach the log bundle.

Also check "<Install Dir>\VMware\VMware View\Server\broker\webapps"  directory for the following list of folder - admin, ROOT, portal. You can also try stopping the connection server services and then delete the admin and ROOT folders. After this start the connection broker service and check for viewadmin page.

Thanks,

Guru

0 Kudos
massmans
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this same issue with my upgrade last night from 7.0.0 to 7.0.1.    I ended up calling into support to resolve the issue.   The tech mentioned that sometime with two servers (connection and replica) that you have to update both servers to get the management portal to work.    That didnt help my issue.  I ended up having to uninstall the connection server, reboot, and then reinstall on both servers.   After the reinstall all my pools and settings were present.    Hope this helps

0 Kudos
cdubz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ended up having a similar issue when upgrading from 6.2.2 to 7.0.1.  The first connection server upgraded fine without issue.  The second/replica install said it was successful but reported the same error you got in the Horizon Administrator. Tried the same thing of service restarts and reboots and those did not work either.  Ran the installer again, once again said the install/upgrade was successful but still issues.  After looking at it then, it was now actually missing the view connection server service and the application was not even shown as being installed.  Ran the installer a third time, installed fine yet again services came up and the box finally registered with View/Horizon in a working state. Weird, but have not had any issues with it since.

0 Kudos
umms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry I was on vacation and now just getting back to this. So if I uninstall/reinstall this won't lose any configuration I have setup?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
cdubz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

should keep the configuration but take snapshots, backups, and write down settings of your environment before doing the upgrade like the documentation says.  just in case.  I didnt have an issue losing configuration on my upgrade.  The first server went fine and picked up where it left off and the replica was the one giving me fits.

0 Kudos
rb635
Contributor
Contributor

Check out this link: http://jacob.gardiner-moon.co.uk/2016/06/18/vmware-horizon-view-7-0-0-7-0-1-upgrade/

and this one for the solution: http://jacob.gardiner-moon.co.uk/2016/06/18/vmware-horizon-view-ssl-errors-upgrade/

He resolved the problem by uninstalling the Horizon 7 Connection Server component from Programs & Features (leave the AD LDS Instance alone) before installing the 7.0.1 package. Not sure if it's necessary, but we rebooted after uninstalling and again after installing 7.0.1. You will be prompted to use the existing instance during install - click OK. This issue seems to be specifically related to connection servers that are paired with security servers. We're back online after following the procedure from Jacob's blog.

0 Kudos
cerbadmins
Contributor
Contributor

The issue for me was:

Old or obsolete Connection and Security servers in my environment with older versions despite them being disabled in Horizon Admin.

The fix for me was: 

Removing old Connection View and Security gateway servers, to do so:

1. Log into a working Connection View Server (Windows), preferably the primary one that the others replicate from.
  2. Open CMD as an admin
  3. Run the following: vdmadmin.exe -S -r -s <ConnectionServerName>

Do so for each old or obsolete Connection and Security server.

It's also a good idea if these servers are still around (recommended to do this first actually), to log into them and uninstall Horizon View (VMware Horizon 7 Connection server), the AD LDS Instance, Horizon HTML access and remove the AD LDS role in Server Manager.

Once you perform a full cleanup of the old or obsolete servers, replication should return to a healthy status.  🙂 It might also be a good idea to restart the VMware Horizon View Connection Server service on each Connection server one by one.  

0 Kudos