VMware Horizon Community
anoopjeevan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connecting to a VDI desktop with PCoIP displays a black screen and shortly disconnects

I have a parent image and pools built from that image. They all are working good. I created a new pool from that gold image with 10 VDIs. When i assigned people to that pool, they complained about black screen and when I looked at the logs I found few possible solutions to this problem.

we are on View 5.3

Operating System: WIN 7 32 bit.

I have these fixes so far:

1) Replace Connect using DNS GPO

2)Increasing vram and no of monitors

Nothing worked so far. Any help on this well be really appreciated very much. I have attached the log file. Please ask if you need more info or logs about this issue.

Regards,

Anoop .

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anoopjeevan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the problem. I tried to upgrade the view agent and then re-installed 5.3. But the svga driver did not downgrade from 8.15  and hence the error. I uninstalled tools and agent and reinstalled the VMware tools and the old view agent in correct order and it got the old svga driver (7.14) and now its working. thanks to you all who have replied.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There a fix for similar issue in 5.3.6.

06/28/2016, 12:05:41.088> LVL:0 RC:   0      EXTERN :svga_devtap ==> second render failed: 0xc0000008
06/28/2016, 12:05:41.088> LVL:0 RC:   0      EXTERN :svga_devtap ==> Error: screen dma failed

Please try 5.3.6 and see if it fixes your issue.

0 Kudos
anvr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also check network firewall settings, 4172 (TCP/UDP) used for PCoIP in a VMware View 4.5 and later environment. This port is required for the PCoIP display protocol.

Confirming that correct TCP/IP ports are open on a VMware Horizon View Virtual Desktop (1026766) | V...

0 Kudos
carterbury
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As anvr noted.  PCOIP black screens are most often caused by 4172 access.  Telnet from the client whatever your PCOIP Secure Gateway/Pcoip External URL configuration IP is.  This is located under View Configuration/Servers/Security Servers or Connection Servers.  Chose edit.

For instance telnet x.x.x.x 4172

If it doesn't connect to that url you know its a networking/firewall issue.

It sounds though that you may already have all this working for other pools.  Most often times this is an agent issue or windows firewall.  I have seen this happen when the machines for some reason don't wind up in a gpo that doesn't configure or disable the windows firewall.

0 Kudos
anoopjeevan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the problem. I tried to upgrade the view agent and then re-installed 5.3. But the svga driver did not downgrade from 8.15  and hence the error. I uninstalled tools and agent and reinstalled the VMware tools and the old view agent in correct order and it got the old svga driver (7.14) and now its working. thanks to you all who have replied.

0 Kudos