VMware Horizon Community
robbyr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connecting to VMs through mulitple connection servers for internal/exteral access

Hello everyone

My apologies if this is a silly question, but is it possible to have an individual VM or pool accessible through multiple connection servers? Here is my setup and my scenario:

Connection server 1 - direct connect enabled, PCoIP, serving internal users.

Connection server 2 - direct connect disabled, RDP, paired with a security server, serving external users.

We are looking to deploy Wyse PocketCloud on Wireless/3G iPads so support users off hospital campus can access their desktop. The users will expect to have the desktop in the same state as when they were on campus. Our doctors are gravitating to the iPad, so this will be a test phase for a future rollout.

The users' VMs are controlled by cs 1. I would like the ability to have users directly connect to their VMs using PCoIP when they are internal and RDP through the security server when they are external. Is this possible without using a VPN or having direct connect disabled on cs 1? I tried adding a VM that was already setup on cs 1 to cs 2, but once cs 2 takes over I can no longer connect to the VM through cs 1. The servers also take turns reconfiguring the VM every minute, so this doesn't seem like the proper way of doing this. Has anyone had customers or users who wanted to do something similar to this? If so, how did you handle it?

Thanks in advance for your input

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What version of View are you running? In the later versions you can set direct connect at the server level. So now you can simply deploy a replica from your main connection server that is running direct mode while having your other connection server in indirect. This way you can have one view environment and run your desired configuration.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are connection server 1 and connection server 2 seperate View environments? We are doing exactly what you want to do in our environment with the only caveot is the user's have to switch their protocol when they connect from out of the office.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
robbyr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you mean that both cs1 and cs2 are full, stand alone connection servers, then yes. As far as I can tell, that is the only way to get around the direct

connect issue. Is that how your environment is set up? If so, how are you giving the other connection servers access to VMs that were no created on them? Thanks.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What version of View are you running? In the later versions you can set direct connect at the server level. So now you can simply deploy a replica from your main connection server that is running direct mode while having your other connection server in indirect. This way you can have one view environment and run your desired configuration.

0 Kudos
robbyr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wonderful! Thank you mittim12. Looks like I need to upgrade.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Good Luck and let us know if you need any assistance.

0 Kudos