VMware Horizon Community
kvincik
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting / Accessing USB Device via PCoIP is slow.

Hello, I wanted to get some performance feedback from other running the new View 4 with PCoIP. Internally we have followed the install guide and have the recommend ports open for all features of view 4 and PCoIP to work. The big thing I have noticed is the poor performance, if it even works right the first time, of connecting USB devices, thumb drives to your virtual desktop. We have many users that use USB thumb drives for storage so this is a show stopped for us. A thumb drive after slicking the connect USB Device may take 2-3 minutes to show up. Is that normal? The VM’s are Windows XP w/SP3 with all latest Windows Patches. I am missing something? Also has anyone had any success with connecting local drives, like C and D to your VDI via PCoIP?

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have not experienced this with my Wyse P20 PCoIP thin clients. The USB devices work and respond very similar to USB devices on a physical PC, (with the exception of data transfer times, of course). I have not yet tried it from a PC running the View Client. What kind of client are you using?

0 Kudos
kvincik
Contributor
Contributor

We are using HP 5730 & 5720. But the slowness is the same if you are connecting from a laptop or desktop pc. I just got off the phone with support and they say them is a known compaint. They said they have more at vmware who have USB printers that may take 5-10 mins for them to show up in their VDI's. Wow, thats slow

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

If possible can you try different sizes of thumbdrives and see if there is a difference?

I think windows is doing some inital scan of the device on first access and that can slow down this operation...

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos