VMware Horizon Community
Edinburgh_jon
Contributor
Contributor

Connected to VM Horizon client, skype and MSTeams do not work over fast WIFI

Firstly, I'll start off with an apology as I'm not that technical, and so what I ask may be obvious or even in the wrong location, so apologies up front.

So, like many I am working from home, and I am using my own HP Pavilion laptop on Windows 10 Home 6.3.19041, and connect into my work via VM Horizon Client v4.4.0 build 5171611.  I have Virgin Media broadband M350 fibre package.  I have the hub set up as modem only and have a TP Link Deco M5 mesh system setup for WIFI.  In the room that I work in, when I run a speed test on my laptop, I get anywhere between 50 and 80 mbps download.  Unfortunately I am not able to run a speed test via the VM session - must be something configured by my works IT team.

And now the issue - whenever I am on audio only Skype or MS Teams calls, there is a lag, people can't hear me, my laptop freezes and so on. It's now at the point where it's near impossible to do my work which is embarrassing given that broadband that I have.  The IT support team ran some checks and informed me that the packet loss was one of the worst they has seen with transmit losing 6.1% and received 21.6%.  I had a new VM machine built, but the issue is the same, and I'm now at a loss as to what to do.  I'm sure it must be a simple configuration setup that needs adjusting, but have no idea where to start.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Regards, Jon

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you tried using ethernet (instead of wifi)

Have you tried switching protocols (blast vs pcoip)

Also, your client is pretty old. Suggest upgrading to the newest client.

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/downloads/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_horizon_cl...

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The packet loss rate was horrible. You need to figure out that first. Trying Ethernet as suggested by bjohn is a good way to narrow down the issue. Also you can try native Skype/Teams w/o Horizon in picture to see if it makes any difference.

0 Kudos