VMware Horizon Community
lookandfeel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Connect a client cd device to the View Desktop

Hi,

I want to administrate an automated desktop pool with VMware View 3.01.

Per default the local built-in cd-device from the client-workstation is passed to the virtual desktop. But in the AD I have a policy, so that the local devices wouldn't pass to the virtual desktop.

But the virtual desktop - exactly the virtual machine - has also a virtual cd device.In the virtual desktop a cd device is shown, but unfortunately the local-inserted cd is not shown in the virtual desktop!

How can I administrate my desktop pool, so that the client can insert a cd in his local pc-device (e.g. a xp-pc with the View Client), and this cd will be passed to the virtual desktop??

I can connect with the VI-Client to my virtual center and connect the cd to the virtual machine manual, but I search for a solution to connect the cd in an automatic way to the machine.

Regards,

Andre

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Andre,

the View and the VI thing are totally different.

The local mapped drives are network drives, so when you insert a CD in the clients CD-Rom drive, the virtual desktop will show you a network drive named "F$ on Client" or somethingsimiliar.

When you use the VI client it is the virtual cd drive of the virtual desktop, where you can map the local cd drive to or use an ISO image. This cant be done by the user because he does not connect with the VI client, he connects with the View Client. This is only a function of vCenter and the vCenter Client.

You should delete the CD-ROM drive from you virtual machine, because the user can't use it. You should only use it for special purposes.

Thanks,

Christoph

Blog: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth

0 Kudos
lookandfeel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Christoph,

thank you very much for this information. So I think I understood it right.

Do you know a possibility to allow the user to use his local cd-device with VMware View options?

Thanks,

Andre

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Andre,

Only if you map the local client devices via the RDP protocol. This is a standard function of RDP. The user will see the cd rom in his virtual session as a network drive.

Thanks,

Christoph

0 Kudos
lookandfeel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Christoph,

you're right - if the user would connect to his virtual desktop with the RDP client he can use his local cd-device.

But I don't want allow him to use the RDP client. The user has to use the View client.

Can I start the VMware View client with any options or parameters?

Otherwise I havn't really an option to give the user access to his cd-device.

Thanks,

Andre

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, I think I did not explained that well. The View Client uses RDP in the background. So you can definitely control the local mapped drives with the GPO's in the Active Directory.

I've written a blog article for that in German language, but I've embedded a lot of pictures which will explain that for you also if you don't speak German.

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth/2009/02/06/clientlaufwerke-in-der-virtuellen-desktop-...

Thanks,

Christoph

lookandfeel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Christoph,

yes I understand your explanation, but I had a little hope that I can manage local cd-devices more comfortable with VMware virtual desktops.

Trotzdem könnten wir uns der Einfachheit halber beim nächsten mal auch auf deutsch unterhalten:-)

Viele Grüße und nochmals Danke / Kind regards and thanks a lot,

Andre

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hehe. Yes but the forum language is english.

Christoph

Sent with my BlackBerry

0 Kudos