VMware Horizon Community
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Confused about entering licenses

Hi

I'm doing an install of View 5.1 in a vCenter 5.1 environment and I'm running into a strange issue. I have a number of licenses in the MyVMware portal. There are two "VMware View 5 Desktop Server" licenses each for 10 VMs and there are 4 "VMware View 5 Premier Add-On" licenses of 50, 10, 20, 20 VMs.

Strange thing is that I can enter the VMware View 5 Desktop Server licenses in the vCenter Server Licensing menu and they show up as expected with 10 VMs each. But the "VMware View 5 Premier Add-On" license are all invalid according to vCenter, because I get an invalid license error.

So I called VMware Licensing Support and they told me that I should enter those "VMware View 5 Premier Add-On" license in the View Admin interface. When I go there, I indeed can enter the licenses, one by one and View accepts them. But I cannot see the license keys I have already entered and I also can't see how many VMs I'm entitled to run.

The support engineer told me this is correct, expected behaviour and I will only get a warning when I'm near the license limit. I have a hard time believing this and was wondering what your experiences are. How can you check the number of available VM licenses?

Regards

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

View Premier Add-on licenses are without vSphere licenses. You can't enter View Premier Add-on licenses in vCenter because they are View licenses. In View admin console you can only put in 1 license key. It doesn't matter which one you enter, there is no check on number of VMs or concurrent sessions, it's just a license on paper you need to have.

You should combine the vSphere desktop license into one license key and enter that key in vCenter. Then you should assign that license to you vSphere hosts where your desktops will be hosted.

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

View Premier Add-on licenses are without vSphere licenses. You can't enter View Premier Add-on licenses in vCenter because they are View licenses. In View admin console you can only put in 1 license key. It doesn't matter which one you enter, there is no check on number of VMs or concurrent sessions, it's just a license on paper you need to have.

You should combine the vSphere desktop license into one license key and enter that key in vCenter. Then you should assign that license to you vSphere hosts where your desktops will be hosted.

0 Kudos
Geoff_Rose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry to hijack the thread but I was wondering about this too. You say to use the vSphere desktop license which is what I have done but now I can see the usage in vCenter is being measured by how many desktops are powered on and not concurrent user. E.g. its saying that 200 of my 250 are in use but I only have half that logged in at any one time.

Im worried that once I hit the limit it wont let me create any more VMs despite how many are being concurrently used.

In the licensing guide here http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/view/VMware-View-FAQ-Pricing-Licensing-and-Support.pdf it says:

vSphere Desktop that is provided as part of the View bundle SKU is also licensed by concurrent connection allowing customers to deploy vSphere Desktop as needed to support the connections purchased

But im seeing it as licensed by powered on - not concurrent - can anyone else confirm?

0 Kudos
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That's correct. The vSphere Desktop license is not a hard limit. Just make sure that you have enough license on paper.

0 Kudos