VMware Horizon Community
Vincentsrose
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configure Scanner Redirection defaults

I have scanner redirection set up and it is working with a local scanner (Fujitsu 6130s, & 7160s)

My problem is that when a user scans from Adobe Acrobat Pro DC the scanner does not default to Duplex. I have determined that if I get the scanner redirection settings dialog box to show I can configure duplex scanning to work but only for that one session.

1) Does the Scanner Redirection GP allow you to configure this?

2) Can I capture these settings with UEM?

3) Is it possible to configure this to work so that end users can scan duplex with minimal effort?

From Adobe Acrobat DC I have to do a custom scan, then select the options next to the scanner listed, and select "Show Scanner Native Interface". See image 1

Once I have done that and then click scan the scanner native interface comes up. I can change the settings I want there, and I can save a profile though it does not persist through sign off and sign on. This makes me think the settings are in UEM. See image 2

I usually check registry setting changes via regshot, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has done this. I was not sure if because we are using scanner redirection these settings would be on the thin client or the VM or the user profile.

I read the VMware documentation but their description of the group policy does do not cover this. neither did the content on Scanner Redireciton.

We're using UEM for persisting settings and profile specific data

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vincentsrose
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

TL;DR Created an application config in UEM with the following settings

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\ScannerRedirection\

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<AppData>\VMware

So what I ended up doing is as follows: * I took a regshot on a persistent machine

• Opened Adobe acrobat DC and selected custom scan.

Clicked on options and changed Hide Native interface to Show Native interface

• clicked scan
  • made the changes to the Scanner Redirection for VMware Horizon native interface and saved a couple of different profiles for scanning.
  • completed my scan and closed adobe
  • Ran Regshot
  • searched the regshot comparison output for Scan. Located the registry key HKCU\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\ScannerRedirection\
  • Based on the registry key I opened the user profile on my persistent machine and located the VMware folder in Appdata\local\Vmware.
  • Opened UEM management console and created a config file with the following settings:

[IncludeRegistryTrees]HKCU\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\ScannerRedirection\[IncludeFolderTrees]<AppData>\VMware

• Assigned the condition to my test security group.
  • Signed in to a floating pool with my test account and fired up Adobe acrobat DC. Ran a custom scan and opened the native scanner. I made my new profiles, scanned and closed the application. Signed out, signed back in and it saved my settings.

-- Moving forward I plan to export those settings and then set them as the predefined settings in UEM to deploy to all the users in the department that made the request.

I hope this helps someone else!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Vincentsrose
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

TL;DR Created an application config in UEM with the following settings

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\ScannerRedirection\

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<AppData>\VMware

So what I ended up doing is as follows: * I took a regshot on a persistent machine

• Opened Adobe acrobat DC and selected custom scan.

Clicked on options and changed Hide Native interface to Show Native interface

• clicked scan
  • made the changes to the Scanner Redirection for VMware Horizon native interface and saved a couple of different profiles for scanning.
  • completed my scan and closed adobe
  • Ran Regshot
  • searched the regshot comparison output for Scan. Located the registry key HKCU\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\ScannerRedirection\
  • Based on the registry key I opened the user profile on my persistent machine and located the VMware folder in Appdata\local\Vmware.
  • Opened UEM management console and created a config file with the following settings:

[IncludeRegistryTrees]HKCU\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\ScannerRedirection\[IncludeFolderTrees]<AppData>\VMware

• Assigned the condition to my test security group.
  • Signed in to a floating pool with my test account and fired up Adobe acrobat DC. Ran a custom scan and opened the native scanner. I made my new profiles, scanned and closed the application. Signed out, signed back in and it saved my settings.

-- Moving forward I plan to export those settings and then set them as the predefined settings in UEM to deploy to all the users in the department that made the request.

I hope this helps someone else!

jbla9028
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you tell me what version of Horizon you're using? Is this setup on 7.4? I am using 7.3.1 and trying to accomplish the same thing but do not get the detailed settings for scanning. It's only a couple settings without any details regarding duplex scannnig.

0 Kudos