VMware Horizon Community
wagonwheel
Contributor
Contributor

Computername, tokens and custom unattends

Hi all.

We want to use the vmware name as the host name of the VM (W7) but we also want to use a custome unattend. These two seem to be mutually exclusive. Can you use say a token in the unattend in the appropriate section (like @ComputerName) of the unattend and vmware fills in the details when deploying?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

Maybe I am missing something, are you not using the VMware Customisation Specification for deploying your VMs.

If so, you use the option for using the Virtual Machine name as the host name as you go through the specification set up.

Let me know if I have missed something and I'll try and help,

Dan

0 Kudos
wagonwheel
Contributor
Contributor

If you want to use the VM name, you cannot use a custom unattend, you have to use VMWares wizard which we don't want. What I want to know is (and it is increasingly looking like you cannot do this which is kinda silly), can you customize an unattend to use a token like @computername, then when vmwares automated sysprep it fills in this field based on the vmname.

Yes you still need to use a customization but in the customization you can specify a custom unattend but you can't do it in conjunction with 'Use the VM name'.

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

I see what you mean now, that is frustrating but I have never needed to use a custom unattend, the vmware customisation spec has all the options I have needed.

Sorry couldn't be of help.

0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, "me too" - I am hoping to be able to use a custom unattend file and have the ComputerName set to the name of the VM. Anybody heard any updates on this?

0 Kudos