VMware Horizon Community
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor

Composer service starts then stops

I'm trying to install the View Composer tool... I must be doing something wrong, but I've yet to find an actual installation guide.

What I've done:

1) Installed a new named instance on my SQL server (2005) (not the same box as the VC server)

2) Initiated the installation of Composer on my VC server

3) created a system DSN pointing to the named instance of SQL 2005

4) Ran through the installation

Right near the end, I get this:

Error 1920: Service VMware View Composer (svid) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

When I look in the event log, I see that the service successfully starts, but then automatically stops again. If I go into the services and try to manually start it, it starts just fine, but then automatically stops.

What am I doing wrong? I must be missing a step somewhere... if anyone would be willing to link an actual installation guide for composer I would be most appreciative.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1121020#1121020

Sorry.. This did it. Needed to search by the error number, not the problem description.

Solution is to change the service credentials to the domain administrator account in mid-installation.

0 Kudos
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor

So.. I can make it successfully install (and the service starts up) however I have a quick question.

I have one ESX server running 3.0.3, and one running 3.5 U3. My VC server is running 2.5 U3. The VC and the view connection server are both on the 3.5U3, but both ESX servers are in the same cluster.

Is this causing the error "View Composer is not available for this VC"?

0 Kudos
UnderCoverGuy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. Changing the service credentials mid-install and then going back to the install program and clicking "Retry" did the trick.

0 Kudos
sanderdaems1987
Contributor
Contributor

I got that error to, make sure youre ODBC is fine with correct credentials and edith the service startup credentials

http://blog.vmpros.nl/2012/01/09/vmware-viewerror-1920-service-vmware-view-composer-svid-failed-to-s...

| VCP/VSP/VTSP/vExpert 2010/2011 |
0 Kudos