Expert
Expert

Cloud Pod Architecture

I have one site:

1 vcenter

1 connection server

3 hosts

If I will create another site to form a cloud pod architecture,:

1. does my connection server in my 2nd site should be connected to my vcenter in site 1 or should be a new vcenter server?

2. Can I do a cloud pod architecture in with all sites are in 1 domain and in the same layer 2 ip range and subnet?

3. related to question 1, if connection server in site 2 will be connected to vcenter in site 1, can i also manage the hosts in site 2 using vcenter in site 1 but in a different cluster?

4. site 1 will have 50 rds license for 50 users, in case site 1 goes down. can site 2 be able to handle the 50 users? does it mean that i have to license the rds hosts in site 2 for additional 50 to make it a total of 100 rds licenses? how can i sync my rds hosts in site 1 to site 2?

thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

up

0 Kudos
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

up

0 Kudos
kg_jayaram
Contributor
Contributor

1. does my connection server in my 2nd site should be connected to my vcenter in site 1 or should be a new vcenter server?

No, individual sites should have individual vCenter server, It should have an other vCenter for managing.

2. Can I do a cloud pod architecture in with all sites are in 1 domain and in the same layer 2 ip range and subnet?

It does not matter if the IPs are on Layer 2 or Layer 3 unless we have a good connectivity between the connection servers, port 22389 is used for replication between connection servers of different pod

3. related to question 1, if connection server in site 2 will be connected to vcenter in site 1, can i also manage the hosts in site 2 using vcenter in site 1 but in a different cluster?

Are you looking for linked mode vcenter:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.install.doc/GUID-91EF7282-C45A-4E48...

4. site 1 will have 50 rds license for 50 users, in case site 1 goes down. can site 2 be able to handle the 50 users? does it mean that i have to license the rds hosts in site 2 for additional 50 to make it a total of 100 rds licenses? how can i sync my rds hosts in site 1 to site 2?

Not sure about the licensing part, however to answer your question about sync, ADAM VMwareVDMDSG on port 22389 is used for sync between connection servers this is also call as global LDAP.

ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

No, individual sites should have individual vCenter server, It should have an other vCenter for managing.

- so it means I cannot do a cloud pod architecture if there is only 1 vcenter server? 1 site must have a vcenter and connection server then there we can do cloud pod architecture.

Not sure about the licensing part, however to answer your question about sync, ADAM VMwareVDMDSG on port 22389 is used for sync between connection servers this is also call as global LDAP.

- my point is that if the primary site goes down, how can the applications in RDSH in site 1 will be in sync so users will have no or little data discrepancy

this is all in a 1 vCenter only.

thank you!

0 Kudos
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

up

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

does my connection server in my 2nd site should be connected to my vcenter in site 1 or should be a new vcenter server?

Cloud Pod Architecture (CPA) and Horizon in generally follows POD based architecture. Every Pod is further divided into blocks. You can have maximum 5 Block per POD and can have 2000 VM per block. So total 10,000 VMs per site. This was the limitation till CPA was introduced. Now you can scale up to 20,000 or more. I don't know the latest maximum but number keeps growing.

Also note, as per the Architecture, every block is managed by dedicated vCenter and with redundant connections servers per POD.

To answer your question => So for every block, you should have vCenter to manage. Therefore by design you must have multiple vCenter irrespective of sites or CPA you are planning.

Can I do a cloud pod architecture in with all sites are in 1 domain and in the same layer 2 ip range and subnet?

With CPA, you do not need to extend Layer-02 as IPs are offered by DHCP to desktops. Also all users (via VDI client) use connection server URL you must have Global names space configured. Global names space will terminate on Internal or external connection servers.But you must reserve additional DHCP Pool up to 50% in both the sites. All must be part of same Domain or trust relationship established between the forest.

related to question 1, if connection server in site 2 will be connected to vCenter in site 1, can i also manage the hosts in site 2 using vcenter in site 1 but in a different cluster?

Host management is possible but it is little to do with CPA

site 1 will have 50 rds license for 50 users, in case site 1 goes down. can site 2 be able to handle the 50 users? does it mean that i have to license the rds hosts in site 2 for additional 50 to make it a total of 100 rds licenses? how can i sync my rds hosts in site 1 to site 2?

You should use linked clone for provisioning RDSH host. Replicate the master to other sites using content library. Keep copies in sync. About RDS license, first you should decide if you need  Active-Passive or Active-Active. If it is active-passive you just need 50 licenses. But if you are looking for active-active you need 100 RDS. But do check with MS as licensing is the most intriguing part of IT.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos