VMware Horizon Community
AndrewBurton
Contributor
Contributor

Clones hanging on Configuration

I hope this is the right forum. Apologies if it's not.

First off my setup:

• I'm using VMWare View Manager 4.0, vSphere 4.0, and VMWare ESX 4.0.0.
  • I'm trying to setup some Windows XP 64-bit machines to use with our thin clients.
  • The 64-bit XP template is using VMWare Tools 8.3.7.

Here's my problem: I get the template going, I get it to join the the Active Directory, the new machines build from the template, but VMWare View Manager never registers getting past Customizing. The machines register with the AD server, they get a name that even shows up on vSphere, but the Customizing never goes away until it changes to Error.

I had McAfee 8.something installed but I have removed it. I turned the firewalls off within XP. I was able to telnet to ports 3389, 4001, and 8009 on the View Manager server. As far as I can tell there's nothing blocking communications between machines and the server. When I set the customization script to login as the local Administrator it does.

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to fix this?

I'm about ready to just ditch the VMWare customization and write my own customization script  that fires off when admin logs in. Any suggestions or pointing to documentation I've missed would be welcome.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Wow, those are all very old versions. You should start by upgrading to current supported versions of the software.

Windows XP 64bit have never been supported in Horizon View so that could be the reason for your problems, I would recommend Windows 7 instead. (Since Windows XP is no longer supported)

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
AndrewBurton
Contributor
Contributor

I'll give Win7 a whirl. Thanks.

0 Kudos