VMware Horizon Community
amarsden
Contributor
Contributor

Client script to detect host/client screen details - numbers and resolutions

HI - we are using Horizon View 6.2 providing virtual Win 7 PCs to users.  The hosts PCs are also Win 7.

We have a program that requires different command lines for each different screen resolution/dpi combination.

I have two monitors, like lots of our users.

Using

Set objWMIService = GetObject("Winmgmts:\\.\root\cimv2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * From Win32_DesktopMonitor where DeviceID = 'DesktopMonitor1'",,0)

For Each objItem in colItems

intHorizontal = objItem.ScreenWidth

intVertical = objItem.ScreenHeight

Next

msgbox intHorizontal & " * " & intVertical

I get details of just one monitor.  It fails to detect two.

This is OK for me, as both my screens are the same.  However, lots of our users have small laptops, plugged into big displays.  The numbers could be very different.

So, I am after some sort of script that will run on the virtual PCs that will detect the number, resolution  and DPI the user is seeing - either by getting info from the VPC or the underlying host.

I've not been able to find anything that works.  It has to be run by a "normal" user, with low rights.

I really don't care what langage, as long as I can then do "stuff" with the results and fire off a command line with the results.

Many thanks

ACM

0 Kudos
2 Replies
amarsden
Contributor
Contributor

Update

The bit of stuff I need to work is a WMI call to \\root\wmi

If I use a command like

wmic /NameSpace:\\root\wmi PATH WmiMonitorID get /format:List

On my normal PC, I get details of the Monitors, on the Vmware Pc I get "not supported"

Although this namespace doesn't actually contain the active resolutions, so that may be a red herring.

The other option is the registry under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\<very long unique ID key>

There is some relevant keys, however there are other keys in that area that are not relevant, so working out what that long key means and how it can be liked to the actual monitors would get me the numbers I want.  EDIT - that ID seems to be be found in the NameSpace that I get "not supported" when I try to query it, so I do need to get that bit working.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

ACM

0 Kudos
amarsden
Contributor
Contributor

Ok - not a final answer, more like a horrible hack that shows my lack of knowledge of vbscript and registry.  But this script will produce the MAXIMUM screen size tof any connected graphic device - and works with our current setup, up to a maximum of 3 monitors attached to a graphic car.

on error resume next

dim aKeys, xSize,xTemp,ySize,yTemp

Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002

set oShell    = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

set objreg = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\default:StdRegProv")

strKeyPath = "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration"

'read subkeys in array aKeys

• objreg.EnumKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath, aKeys

xSize = 0

ySize = 0

for each subkey In aKeys

'read from xSize key if available - assumes up to four montors in this section

xTemp = oShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\" & strKeyPath & "\" & subkey & "\00\PrimSurfSize.cx")

if Cint(xTemp) >  CInt(xSize) THEN

xSize = xTemp

end if

xTemp = oShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\" & strKeyPath & "\" & subkey & "\01\PrimSurfSize.cx")

xSize = xTemp

end if

xTemp = oShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\" & strKeyPath & "\" & subkey & "\02\PrimSurfSize.cx")

xSize = xTemp

end if 

'read from ySize key if available - assumes up to four montors in this section

yTemp = oShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\" & strKeyPath & "\" & subkey & "\00\PrimSurfSize.cy")

if yTemp >  ySize THEN

ySize = yTemp

end if 

yTemp = oShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\" & strKeyPath & "\" & subkey & "\01\PrimSurfSize.cy")

if yTemp >  ySize THEN

ySize = yTemp

end if

yTemp = oShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\" & strKeyPath & "\" & subkey & "\02\PrimSurfSize.cy")

if yTemp >  ySize THEN

ySize = yTemp

end if 

next

msgbox("Final XSize" & xSize & "Final Y Size " & ySize)

0 Kudos