VMware Horizon Community
lefcakis
Contributor
Contributor

Client fails to connect a few times then works

After a long week of trying to figure out why nothing was connectiong with PCOIP, all of a sudden things started to work again.

However the issue is, that when I connect to a VM either XP or Windows 7 running no firewall and the 4.6 agent.

It fails the first few times saying that there are not resources avaiable.

if I hit Retry a few times it connects over PCOIP.

how in the world do you troubleshoot that?

View manager says its available.

thanks

Jim

0 Kudos
9 Replies
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you let us know more about your environment? Is this remote access or local access? Do you have a Security Server? Do you have a load balancer?

Mark

0 Kudos
lefcakis
Contributor
Contributor

The setup is as follows.

Clients have 4.6 installed on them.. They are Windows 7 and XP computers.

They connect to a broker that is a connection server.

users can see the provisioned desktops.  when they hit connect it failes the first 1 or 2 times, then connects.

there is no load balancer and these desktops don't connect through the security server.  There is a security server  but we are not useing yet.

This worked fine under 4.5.  Then the upgrade to 4.6 went crazy and had to reinstall.

so the end result, when we open the 4.6 client it will fail the first few times then connect over PCOIP.

0 Kudos
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do the clients connect through LAN or WAN? Seems a problem of concurrent connection, what if they try to connect via RDP instead over PCOIP?

Alex

0 Kudos
lefcakis
Contributor
Contributor

clients are connecting via LAN.

RDP gives the same result..  it is very hit or miss...

0 Kudos
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

do you have any error/warning on the connection server?

Seems your client cannot retrive immediatly the server, could be either a networking connection (firewall/routing) betwwen server and clients or between the esx that present the clients and the connection server that need to provide the connection. Did you check that the esx do not have any event?

Alex

0 Kudos
lefcakis
Contributor
Contributor

No events in ESXi that relate.

Broker can see the agent..  When the VM is rebooting or anything the broker updates with the informaiton like Connected, or Disconnected or Available.

you can see from the vmview manager screen.  Even in the broker event manager you can see that it is trying to process jobs..

0 Kudos
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Since apparently you dont'have many info I would dig through the agent log to see if you find something specific.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1027744&sl... 0 160874622 in case you need to know where the logs are.

Alex

lefcakis
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstalled View Manager and reinstalled.  Disjoined server from network and rejoined to the domain...

now when I install I get

Error 28018: there was an error creating a Microsoft Directory Services Instance "the wizard could not access the registry. error code 0x800706fd.  the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed"

there are no firewalls on between these servers and in fact this worked fine under 4.5. only started getting all of my issue since going to 4.6.

0 Kudos
DKatman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it at all possible that after upgrading the connection server the pool is set to refresh the image on logout? Or shut itself down. Can you monitor in vsphere to see if the computer is turned on? It sounds like maybe it is just timing out while turning the machine on.

Just a thought. Check my post count, what do I know?

Smiley Happy

Good Luck,
Dave