VMware Horizon Community
ntrippcig
Contributor
Contributor

Client Drive Redirection is Slow to Start

Have a new Horizon environment and seeing some strange behavior.  When using client drive redirection we are often seeing the file copy process take 10 - 20 minutes to even start.  Once started the copy speed appears in normal range.  VMWare claims that they just tunnel the RDP client drive redirection protocol and support has not had anything useful.  

I am able to reproduce using both a UAG on internal network and connecting through only connection servers.  

If I RDP directly to the VDI machine the issue does not happen.

If I use RDP protocol through horizon client the issue does not happen.

We have seen this with UAG 2106 and 2103 (we had to downgrade because of a TCP deadlock bug). Connection servers are on 2103 (just brokering) and Horizon Agent 8.1,8.2,8.3.  Using Horizon client 8.00 and also tested latest  8.3

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
FelixYan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

- Are you copying a single big file? What's the file size?

- Are you copying a lot of small files? 

- It's hard to explain why RDP can work well in your case. Try to use the same Horizon Client to connect to connection server(without UAG) directly, disable Tunnel function in Broker admin UI page, compare the behavior between Blast and RDP connection.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ntrippcig
Contributor
Contributor

It can take forever with just a single small file.

I have tried direct to connection server without UAG.  Tunnel is off on connection servers (it has to be to use UAG). 

I tested RDP vs Blast and even PCoIP. RDP works fine.  Blast and PCoIP trash.

RDP through the UAG was also good.  Whatever VMWare is doing in their implementation is causing the issue

0 Kudos
FelixYan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks! 

On Agent side, set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware TSDR\tcpSidechannel as "tcp", then check whether the CDR performance can be improved better. If the issue still exists, then suggest to open one SR, and the related teams will be involved to check the issue.

0 Kudos
ntrippcig
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately no change.  I have an SR case open but they have had it for weeks now and nothing has come from it.  

0 Kudos
ChicaneUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? Thanks. 

0 Kudos