VMware Horizon Community
EnricoK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Clarification towars secondary connection server

Hi there,

we want to add a secondary connection server to our environment (already have one and one security server). It is not used für HA or something like this, we just want to separate internal and external desktop pools with Tags. One connection server only gets the "internal" tag, and desktop pools that only should be accessed from our internal LAN get the "internal" tag also, the other connection server, gets the "external" tag and pools, which should be available outside our Lan through the internet, get the "external" tag. So we are going to use split dns, to resolve the horizon connection name to the ip of the connection server with the "internal" tag.

So when I am going to install the secondary server, should I choose a replica server? I am confused about, if there is only an initial replication of the settings and configuration of the already existing connection server or will it always replicate settings/configurations? So if I change the "Tags" of one connection server, would it be replicated to the other server too?

Or should I just go with install another standard connection server?

Just a bit confused how to proceed. Thanks in advance for your help.

best regards

Enrico

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schmidtl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, choose replica server when installing the second connection Server. Afterwards, the installer asks from where to pull the configuration, here you point the installer towards your existing connection server.

What happens is that both Connection Servers share the same ADAM Database (where all Horizon View related config is stored). So AFTER the installation forward, there is no way to determine who's Master and who's replica. They are both seperate, eqal instances that ise the same configuration database.

Keep in mind that there is a 1:1 pairing between Connection Server and Security Server, so your existing ConnectionServer (that is paired with your existing Security Server) should get the 'external' Tag, and the newly created CS gets the 'internal' Tag.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
schmidtl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, choose replica server when installing the second connection Server. Afterwards, the installer asks from where to pull the configuration, here you point the installer towards your existing connection server.

What happens is that both Connection Servers share the same ADAM Database (where all Horizon View related config is stored). So AFTER the installation forward, there is no way to determine who's Master and who's replica. They are both seperate, eqal instances that ise the same configuration database.

Keep in mind that there is a 1:1 pairing between Connection Server and Security Server, so your existing ConnectionServer (that is paired with your existing Security Server) should get the 'external' Tag, and the newly created CS gets the 'internal' Tag.

EnricoK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try 🙂

0 Kudos