VMware Horizon Community
cshells
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Clarification Persistent Disk vs. Persona Management

Ok so I just need to clarify a few things for my knowledge.

First, we have a view deployment where we set the users home directory to a seperate disk, using active directory. So each user has there own E:/ drive which has their My doucments, My pictures, My videos, etc. redirected to that folder. So in this case how is this method different than using persistent disks?

My next question is what is the difference between persistent disks and persona management? Doesn't persistent disks redirect the users profile to the disk? I guess I am just confused what the differences between the two are. I know you can use them together, but what benefits are there to using them together?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

cshells wrote:

Ok so I just need to clarify a few things for my knowledge.

First, we have a view deployment where we set the users home directory to a seperate disk, using active directory. So each user has there own E:/ drive which has their My doucments, My pictures, My videos, etc. redirected to that folder. So in this case how is this method different than using persistent disks?

1:   When you say their own seperate disk do you simply mean you are mapping to a network share and then mapping that network share as E:\?     If so then persistent disk are different because the drive is attached to the VM so any access to those redirected items is local.    Also persistent disk remaps the entire profile to that local disk and not just certain parts of the profile.

My next question is what is the difference between persistent disks and persona management? Doesn't persistent disks redirect the users profile to the disk? I guess I am just confused what the differences between the two are. I know you can use them together, but what benefits are there to using them together?

The Persona management is like a roaming profile where things are stored on a network share and copied up and down where a persistent disk is a local drive that has your profile loaded onto it.    I'm not sure why you would use them together.

0 Kudos