VMware Horizon Community
ardkosters
Contributor
Contributor

Chromebook Horizon Client helper in kiosk mode

For our digital assessment (in education) environment based on Chromebooks, we are using the Horizon Client for Chrome. In order to configure the default server, we also installed through the G-suite the "Horizon Client Helper" extension. This works good within a public session.

The issues arises when we want to use the Client as a Kiosk App. Then the "Client Helper" seems to not have effect, and we will need to specify the server url manually. In a digital testing environment this is not a desired solution.

So the question is: How can you get the "Horizon Client" working as a kiosk app in chrome, by being able to configure the default server url?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't think there is a solution here based on that criteria. According to the Google help page on Kiosk App Setup, you specify the App ID which then likely isolates it from the View Helper Extension. I don't have a Chromebook but that is my assumption having worked with Chrome group policies.

Chromebooks and Horizon View have always been difficult because you are forced to use the Chromebook Horizon View client. I have run into issues before and ideally I try to avoid Chromebook for VDI unless its BYOD. Your best option may be to avoid the Kiosk mode and open the Horizon client manually.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos