VMware Horizon Community
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chromebook, HTML Access, and Windows function keys

I would like to know if anyone is trying to use a chromebook with HTML access, and, if so, how you dealt with the lack of function keys. Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I thought I would share our experience thus far with using a Chromebook and HTML Access:

• The function keys concern turned out to be a non-issue.  There are two ways to address it:
    • When you press and hold the Search key, the top row of keys act as standard function keys.
    • You can go into Settings, click Keyboard settings, and check the "Treat top-row keys as function keys" option.
  • We did, however, discover other keyboard issues.
    • Alt-Tab does not work for the Windows task switcher.  We haven't found a workaround for this.  This one is pretty annoying.
    • Alt-1 does not work in Lotus Notes, but other Alt-<letter> menu shortcuts work fine.  We haven't found a workaround for this, either.
    • Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work in Windows.
  • Overall performance is not too bad, but definitely not PCoIP.  Audio out, however, is pretty bad.  We're testing the $249 Samsung 11.6" Chromebook.
  • The trackpad on the Chromebook is also pretty good after adjusting the settings.

Bottom line (so far): The keyboard issues are enough to prevent the use of Chromebooks as a viable "mobile" thin client, even if HTML Access performance improves.

0 Kudos
amitava235
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

How do you configure for HTML5 access of the chromebook?? Kindly let me know

0 Kudos
kdenike
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for your feedback! We know that Chromebooks are not yet replacements for a thin client. At this point, if a company wants to generally use Chromebooks and also has a couple of legacy apps, HTML Access would fit the bill. But I've noted your comments and will consider them as future enhancements.

Amitava, your enable HTML Access for View by installing View 5.3 and the feature pack.

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The VMWare/Google announcement at partner's exchange that the Chromebook can be used to access a VDI desktop was really old news. My hope is this new partnership will result in a View client for the Chromebook with USB pass through, great audio and video performance (PCoIP), and some good work arounds for the keyboard issues. I am in K-12 education and the Chromebook might make a great device to give to students who need to bounce from using web apps/cloud storage to Windows applications and local storage. Perhaps the next version of View will allow HTML access to be as good as using a client.

The announcement talked about trying to move the Chromebook into the enterprise. VMWare has made a decent start towards this but there is work to be done.

0 Kudos