Our parent image recently received the latest version of Chrome and users have begun reporting the Aw Snap error regularly. After receiving the error they refresh the page and the browser loads the site without issue. Chrome is installed in the parent image. This only occurs on our VDI desktops so it does not appear to be a Chrome issue specifically. I found posts in reference to Google's Renderer Code Integrity and I'm going to try disabling that, but I'm curious if any others have begun experiencing the same issue.
We are running AppVolumes (22.214.171.124), but only a few of the users who reported the issue are entitled to an app volume. We only deploy AppVolumes to a small subset of users. Our parent image has a large number of preinstalled applications, but I am able to confirm the issue began after upgrading Chrome and only Chrome to 103.0.5060.66 from a version I believe ended in .53.