VMware Horizon Community
shpld
Contributor
Contributor

Choppy initial connection with Horizon Client or HTML Access but fixed with window resize

Hi,

Some of my users when they connect to their Virtual Desktop will experience choppy experience at first which get fixed when they resize window or exited fullscreen and reentered fullscreen.  This seems to start happening since an NVIDIA driver update but I may be wrong, I also updated ESXi to 7.0.3g to troubleshoot something else and with that came VMware Tools 12.1.0....

This initial choppiness happen on both Horizon Client (typically using NVENC H264 4:4:4 UDP) as well as HTML Access, and also fixed the same way by resizing window.

The system is a VSAN cluster with 4 members, each server has 3x RTX8000.  It is also running full Horizon 2212 suite (UAG, Connection Server, and Agent) as well as the latest NVIDIA driver 15.1 for ESXi 7.0 supposedly compatible with Horizon 2212.

I hope this is something easy I misconfigured something...

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tlinks
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issues on horizon client and web; remote desktops running smooth, low latency and great fps but only after doing the resizing. After you first connect it is stuck at ultra low frame rate. No updates happened (in regards to VMware products or Nvidia drivers) but this issue suddenly appeared. Can't seem to fix it with any settings I've tried so far. Did you ever find a solution for this? 

I also noticed in Horizon Performance Monitor the CPU encode usage is high when first logging in and its laggy. The CPU is usually under 1% for the encode but its around 3-6% on first login and after doing the window resizing it goes back to under 1% so seems like it may be reverting to CPU encode or something (one of the CPU cores is also locked at 100% utilization) 

0 Kudos