VMware Horizon Community
jvvovf
Contributor
Contributor

Choosing the right Windows client version

We are planning to setup a new View solution for 1.000 current terminal server users running Windows Server 2008 R2. We start migrating in August.

I was hoping to use the latest and greatest versions for clients: Windows 8.1, Office/Lync 2013.

After reading the release notes for 5.3 I see there is no support for persona management in Windows 8.1.

The alternative is to use older client OS or to use Windows User profiles with Windows 8.1. Will I experience performance issues when users log in the morning using Windows Users Profiles?

Is Persona Management that important for the View environment that I should choose an older client OS? I have to start migrating in August and there is no official date for PM and Windows 8.1 as far as I can see.

JV

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

You should contact your local VMware Salesteam and get a roadmap presentation.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Persona Management (PM) importance depends on the use case. We don't know how you are planning to use your environment. Will you see 1000 users hitting your environment on day 1? Let's say if you don't use the PM, what are your options? How big is user profile? What are your companies policy? Do they currently use roaming profile? Did you check some other solution out there - like Profile unity from Liquidware labs.

Implementing and using View is a long,never ending and exiting journey Smiley Happy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
jvvovf
Contributor
Contributor

We are using roaming profile today and size is 10-50 MB on current terminalserver environment per user. We have redirection of favorites, desktop, my doc/music/pic/vid so this is not stored in profile.

From day 1 we will only have 50 users. But in 3-4 months after that 1.000.

Login time today is 22 seconds for a 22 MB profile and all the GPP settings.

Don't know Profile unity but will check it out.

JV

0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Avoid using roaming profile, you will save yourself lot of trouble and your login and logoff time will also improve. With romaing profile it needs to download the entire contents and upload back when the users log off.

If PM is not supported then try to use Profile unity and see it that fit your needs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos