VMware Horizon Community
cprawitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Changing Persistent Disk Space - Shrink View 4.6 Linked Clones

So in deploying our linked clones with persistent data disks I originally set the size for 10GB just to be sure that there was enough space. Now that our users' files are all migrated over to the new system the most a user uses is like 1GB because most files are stored on the network. Is there a way that I can shrink their "D" drives without having to start from scratch? I went into the view admin > pools > edit  and changed the disk size to 5GB but neither refresh nor re-compose did the trick. Any suggestions or places that I should look for information.

View 4.6

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah but if they are thin disk and only using 1GB of space then it should only be 1 GB in size.   Unless of course the migration spiked it to 10 GB and then it dropped back down to 1GB.    In typical thin disk configurations (server) the only way to reclaim is to run something like sdelete inside the disk and then utilize storage vmotion to shrink it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since these disks are already created and in use View will not do anything about them, I would expect that all new desktops have the new size you specified.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
cprawitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was afraid of that. Anyway to move the users entire to include the hidden folders ect to a new persistent disk so that they keep their individual certificates fro websites ect?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Aren't the disk used with persistent disk created as thin disk?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
cprawitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes they were created as thin disks but no matter what I do I cannot get them to shrink. I can expand them no problem but cant shrink them.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah but if they are thin disk and only using 1GB of space then it should only be 1 GB in size.   Unless of course the migration spiked it to 10 GB and then it dropped back down to 1GB.    In typical thin disk configurations (server) the only way to reclaim is to run something like sdelete inside the disk and then utilize storage vmotion to shrink it.

0 Kudos