VMware Horizon Community
Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changing Active Directory password causes Outlook 2010 issues?

Has anyone ever seen or come across changing the users password in Active Directory and then cannot open outlook or sign into Microsoft Lync?  If I change the users password back to the old password everything works fine.  I have elminated AD replication issues with Microsoft and roaming profile issues.

I logged into a physical computer with the same user's username and password and had no issues.  It seems to only occurr on the virtual desktop.  We are using View 4.6. If however I remove the desktop entirely and re-create their roaming profile I am able to log into the desktop with no issues. I am fairly new to VMware so if you need more information please let me know.

Thank You

0 Kudos
10 Replies
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

I haven't seen this but based on your post I'd say it has everything to do with your profile:

"and re-create their roaming profile "

I bet if you just did that the Outlook issue would be resolved, if so this is definately not something a VMware View forum can help with.  Roaming profiles are a MS issue. 

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for replying!  I thought it was an issue with roaming profile to untill I logged into a physical computer with the same username and password and let the profile roam down.  I was able to open outlook and lync with no problem.

Only when I delete the local profile on the virtual desktop does the issue go away on the VM itself.  I've tested on a few users so all the local profile are corrupt?  Where is the password caching on the VM?

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

Or the VM environment doesn't like the roaming profile.  I personally don't use roaming profiles and do everything within my power not to.  If you are using View 5, you should have access to Persona Management.  I use those profiles for View.

However, I will say plenty of the users on this forum probably use roaming profiles without issue so I'll let them speak up.  I've just had too many problems with roaming profiles so I gave up on them years ago.

Gunnar

0 Kudos
Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks again for the advice but again if I leave the roaming profile on and delete the local profile on the virtual desktop, log off then log back in everything is fine.  The roaming profile is still in use, the local profile was deleted.

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

There is a GP that can make it so the local profile is auto deleted on log out.  Maybe that would take care of you

Windows77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would that be the same thing as using non-persistent profiles?  We have a lot of per user customizations so unfortuantely we can't do that. If there are no other options I guess i'll close this post.

0 Kudos
Eppich
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone found some kind of solution to this?  I've been having the same issue since deploying View 6 months ago.  I have 10zig Zero Clients using View 4.6.  It seems if our users let their passwords expire and they try to log in using the zero client, that's when the issue arrises.   This will lead to either the Windows circle of death with no successful login or the login works but Outlook and Lync do not.  Like the original post states that changing the user's password back to their prior one will fix the issue.  Deleting all data from the users app data/outlook folder and deleting the outlook profile will fix the issue with Outlook but I don't want to have to do this everytime a user hoses up their profile, considering users don't listen to anything an admin has to say anyways.  That being said it happens to often!  I need some kind of permanent solution to this issue.  VMWare...Please help!!

0 Kudos
julien1907
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

We have exactly the same issue as Windows77.  We have a workaround in place at the moment but the issue is becoming increasingly frustrating and affecting more and more users.  Essentially when a user's password expires and they attempt to log in to View (we use View 4.6 and PCoIP thin clients) and the user changes their password all elements of the infrastructure appear to work with the exception of Exchange.  If a user attempts to open Outlook they are presented with the Outlook 2010 Loading Profile screen where it gets stuck.

The workaround for us is to delete all the subkeys here HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles]  When done we are able to rebuild their Outlook profile.

Any help greatly appreciated as just like Windows77 this only happens when using the View password change facility.

0 Kudos
Eppich
Contributor
Contributor

So, I actually had a call in to VMWare support and was able to get the issue somewhat resolved.  We're running View 4.6.  The support tech recommended that we upgrade the View Agent to 4.6.1.  In testing, I was able to expire some test accounts that have an Exchange mailbox and a Lync account.  Both of which I was having issues with before.  Everything worked great for me.  Even using the Zero Client I was able to successfully change the password and have no login issues.  Of course, the next week a couple of our user's passwords expired and I got back to the Windows Welcome screen circle just spinning and never logged in.

6/26 12:03pm EST

I had a user's password expire today and still had the issue with Outlook not recognizing the change.  It was stuck on loading the profile.  Looks like it's either user error or this fix just doesn't work.  I've tested with multiple accounts including my own and it's worked every time!!??  I don't get it!

0 Kudos
felyasocal
Contributor
Contributor

Hey. were you able to resolve this problem?

I am having the exact same problem right now. Can't reset any passwords

0 Kudos