VMware Horizon Community
sandervv
Contributor
Contributor

Certificate error on myvmware download page

In our company we want to introduce BYOD. When a user want to install the client instead of the browser they can choose to "Install VMware Horizon Client" on the view server site. They are then being transferred to Download VMware Horizon Clients

When using IE11 the users are receiving a certificate error.

Does somebody else also experience this issue? What are you telling to the user: "It's ok to trust untrusted certificates"" ? Do you advise to use another browser or do even you provide a own download area for the client.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using an internal certificate authority to generate the certificate? VMware is using a solid 3rd party cert, if you are using an internal cert and want to support BYOD. I highly recommend going with a 3rd party like RapidSSL, Godaddy, Thawte, etc. That ensure that any BYOD device will trust the certificate authority.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
sandervv
Contributor
Contributor

Warren,

We don't host the software by ourself .I don't even think that is legal.

The issue is that IE11 the certificate error gives with "The name on the security certificate is invalid or.......". The error makes sense because the subject of the certificate is totally different.

2017-04-06 08_13_45-Remote Desktop Connection.png

We only experience this with IE11. Other browsers doesn't seem to bother.

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Based on that information, couple of items.

1. Looking at that screenshot, that certificate is a wildcard certificate notated by the * in the subject name. In addition, that domain "omtrdc.net" is owned by Adobe Systems. Given that this is IE 11, my suspicion would be a proxy server configuration in IE 11 or firewall, Security Appliance, or load balancer may be causing an odd redirection. Is this also happening on BYOD devices that have no domain membership?

2. To answer your mention of hosting the software client, you can actually host the client and VMware supports changing the URL for "Install VMware Horizon View Client" option. Though I recommend just using the default link to vmware which avoids you needing to maintain versions internally. VMware Link

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos