VMware Horizon Community
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Caps Lock Issue

We are trialling View 4.5 and hearing reports from users that Caps Lock intermittedly turns itself on and off. Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I've never seen or heard of this type of behavior in our environment.  I did a quick look on the KB site and didn't find anything related to View regarding caps locks issues.

0 Kudos
regnak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

We've seen it in our environment. We've Windows XP Endpoints and VMs. Depending on your Client SP level we came up with two fixes:

Windows XP SP2:

Upgrade RDP Client to Version 6 (KB952155) & Hotfix (KB941603)

Windows XP SP3:

Upgrade Windows XP SP2 to SP3 and Upgrade RDP Client to Version 7 (KB969084)

This was for the Endpoint - the VM was SP3 all along. We didn't see this issue with Windows 7 but there wasn't much deployment of this version.

Hope this helps.

Mike

0 Kudos
Joxster
Contributor
Contributor

We have had the same thing,  I can reproduct the issue at command simply by doing the following :-

If you are in your Virtual Desktop turn on the caps lock light then press ctrl + alt + del and lock your pc (This is locking the REAL PC) then turn the caps lock light off and press ctrl + alt + del and unlock the PC now in the Virtual Desktop the Caps lock light is no in reverse this is because locking the real PC has broken the link to the keyboard status so to fix you need to do it in reverse.

The real fix for this is to tell your users to lock there Virtual Desktop and not there local desktop so press CTRL + ALT + Insert or if they have to lock there local desktop tell them to be careful of having the caps lock light on when locking.

I noticed this happen to the users that mainly press CAPS to get a capital letter in there password so teach them to use Shift lol Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks Joxster for posting that.  It was simple to duplicate and to be honest I'm somewhat relived that I haven't actually run into that with my environment.    

0 Kudos