VMware Horizon Community
joemolnar
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot type on a IBM System i terminal emulator while using vmware remotely connecting to my win 7 office desktop.

several of the users have complained that when using VMware to log in from home they cannot use the keyboard while using an IBM System i (AS400) 5250 terminal emulator.

The users are using VMware 4.10. They can connect to the network and the keyboard does work there, but when they start an IBM terminal emulator, they lose the keyboard in that window. This would be very similar to the user's question who was having trouble using PUtty and losing the keyboard.

One of our users downloaded VMware 4.3, and reports he has the functionality of his keyboard restored.

I, myself, cannot reproduce this problem from home, I am strictly a Linux users at home. On my 2 home computers with Ubuntu 16.4 LTS, using VMware 4.10, I do not have those issues with the keyboard while running IBM terminal emulation.

Help would be appreciated. Is there a configuration item in 4.10? Is there a work-around? I don't want to tell my uses that they must all downgrade.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
summervillese
Contributor
Contributor

I'm noticing the same issue using the Windows Store app.  But it's not the entire keyboard that doesn't work, only alphanumeric keys.  I can still tab around to different fields and use the F keys.  The on-screen keyboard in Windows will work fine.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

0 Kudos
agalliasistju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recently I've had a few users without ability to type in their VM.  In our case 3 of 3 times, so far, has been their client machine having the antimalware software, WebRoot Security Anywhere, installed.  Disabling the Identity Protection portion of that app allows typing in the VM again.

WebRoot.png

0 Kudos
agalliasistju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may also need to update the Horizon View Agent on the VM you are using, if you are trying to RDP to your desktop from the VM.  We had an issue with the 6.2 agent doing this. 

0 Kudos
agalliasistju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And I also saw this reply from someone else:

"says, this all started when we tried to install the SafeNet OTP client on our machine. From previous work experience I know that SafeNet has controls in their token software that will lock down USB traffic to help mitigate the risk of keyloggers for their USB based tokens.

Removed the SafeNet client, and, eureka! She's back to typing again. Now I need to figure out how to get the 2 to play nice..."

0 Kudos