VMware Horizon Community
HPU-ADM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot find definite answer: Horizon View 7.3.1, Unified Access Gateway or Security Server?

Aloha!

I am building a new view 7.3.1 environment from the ground up.  My current production environment is view 6, with 2 security servers and 2 connection servers.

I would like to start using the latest and greatest blast extreme and still continue to use pcoip in view 7 until we phase it out.

My question is, I'm having the hardest time installing and configuring unified access gateway 3.1 with the view 7.3.1 connection server.  Does the view 7.3.1 security server have the latest blast extreme on it?  I was told at vmworld that I should go with UAG because security server will be phased out eventually and that the latest blast is on the UAG.

I'm confused, and frustrated with UAG 3.1.  Can anyone give me on insight on where the 7.3.1 security server is and where it will go eventually?

Mahalo,

Booker

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I am doing the exact same thing, and we picked the new ones because there are performance improvements with the access point

For external connections: Access Point 2.5, 2.7.2, 2.8, or Unified Access Gateway 2.9 or later (Unified

Access Gateway 2.9 or later is required for Horizon 7 version 7.1 feature and performance

improvements.)

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/vmware-horizon-7-view-bl...

From my understanding just about everything is better. Unfortunately I have to rework firewall rules which isn't fun.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Definitely go with UAG, there are many improvement over security servers. For us going with security servers was a non-starter since they are paired 1:1 with a connection server. We have our environment deployed with load balancer>multiple UAG>load balancer>multiple connection servers.

What issues are you running into with the UAG? They are tricky at first but once deployed we only have to touch them to do upgrades.

0 Kudos
ChuckS42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Definitely stick with the Unified Access Gateway. It's more secure, and actually easier to configure. Keep at it - there are many blog postings on the subject (e.g., VMware Unified Access Gateway (aka Access Point) 3.1 – Carl Stalhood ). Once you've grokked it you'll never go back to the Security Server (and that's being deprecated anyway). You can deploy gateways with a PowerShell script, too, makes it even easier. (Using PowerShell to Deploy VMware Unified Access Gateway ). It took me a while to get used to it, too.

0 Kudos
HPU-ADM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I finally got things working for the most part.  My first problem was using UAG 2.9 or a version prior to that as it had no customization script.  3.1 has a pretty good customization script but I was i kept fumbling through it and having to reinstall over and over.  A couple of things i entered in wrong was cleared up after referencing Carl Stalhood's blog entry for Unified Access Gateway as you had pointed out.

Thanks for the responses community!

0 Kudos