VMware Horizon Community
PhilippMischak
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot change password after expiration

Hey guys!

I am experiencing quite a strange problem when trying to log into the VM Horizon Client (desktop app for Windows, Version: 2106). My password has expired and as soon as I type in my old password into the password box, a new site appears where I have to type in my old password and a new one. Until this point, everything seems to be alright.

But whenever I type in a new password, an error message emerges: "Change of expired password failed". There is no proper explanation for that, especially since I type in my old and new passwords correctly. I have attached a screenshot of that error message below. VMHorizonpng.jpg

Is there any solution for that? I would be very grateful if you could help me!

Kind regards,

Philipp

0 Kudos
10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have reported your original thread AGAIN, seeing as you have gone ahead and created this duplicate even though a moderator had moved your original one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mlmicah
Contributor
Contributor

Where did you move it to? I am having this exact problem

0 Kudos
PhilippMischak
Contributor
Contributor

@mlmicahThis seems to be quite a common problem if you forget about changing your password in due time - I have talked to other people who experienced the same issue. I solved this problem by asking the local administrator of my form if he could change my password manually. A clumsy solution, but obviously one that actually works. 

0 Kudos
PhilippMischak
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry for that. I was not aware of that this thread has been moved - I did not receive a notification about it. The thing is that I am by no means a technological versed person, but rather an usual employee that is confronted with remote work since the corona crisis started to emerge. So I have no clue about the proper categories into which this concrete topic actually fits. 

0 Kudos
Bhovde
Contributor
Contributor

Would be nice if someone could point us in the direction of an answer. Having the same issue here.....

0 Kudos
Bhovde
Contributor
Contributor

I actually found a working "solution" for my environment. Looking at the log on the connectionserver I noticed that the domain wasn't a part of the username. Then I tried with the horizon client on a domain joined computer. There everything worked. Went back to my IGEL client and logged on with domain\username, got the change password request, entered old and new password and it worked. Don' know if this makes sense for you guys, but for me it worked.

mlmicah
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me. The issue was that the drop down menu wasn't populating the domain for the change password form, even if it showed it did. I manually inpute domain\username and it resolved. Need a permanent solution tho. This is just a workaround.

0 Kudos
rwulffenstein
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @Bhovde ,

I have this same issue with our iGel units.  I took a look at the logs on the connection server and see this error:

2022-10-25T16:41:21.206-05:00 WARN (1178-08B8) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_winauth] LogonUser FAILED, error=1326 (The user name or password is incorrect.)
2022-10-25T16:41:31.137-05:00 INFO (1528-1D8C) <ajp-nio-127.0.0.1-8009-exec-5> [NextGenWinAuthFilter] (SESSION:b19f_***_6fb3, Nich_Test) User \Nich_Test has failed to authenticate to VDM
2022-10-25T16:41:39.402-05:00 WARN (1528-24A8) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_java_bridgeDLL] CipherScheme_AES::encipher(): Use of this key is deprecated
2022-10-25T16:41:39.415-05:00 WARN (1178-2DB8) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_winauth] LogonUser FAILED, error=1326 (The user name or password is incorrect.)

As you can see there is NO domain in front of the username from the above.

I asked the person to put the domain in front of the username upon logging into Horizon on the iGEL device which they did as displayed in the attached image called USCU_IGEL1.PNG.  After they click enter the user is asked to change their password (as see in attached file called USCU_iGEL2.PNG) and you can see the Username field is grayed out and does NOT contain the domain.

Any suggestions on what to do next?  

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Dave34
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where did you find the solution.  Many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
rwulffenstein
Contributor
Contributor

@Dave34,

I have not found a solution yet to this issue.  I opened a case with iGEL support as well as posting here.