VMware Horizon Community
rrizzi3821
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot Change Font Size on Linked Clones Running Windows 7 x86 View 5.2.0

This is a follow up to http://communities.vmware.com/message/1642640#1642640 (Cannot change font size View 4.5 client, November 8, 2010). The posting is obsolete at this point, is a bit confusing and doesn't seem to apply to Windows 7 desktops at all.

Cross-Post Update : Just found an unanswered similar post at

We are using VMware Horizon View 5.2 with WYSE P25 Zero Clients (PCoIP) and I am able to reproduce the same problem while connecting to the View Connection Server with the standard VMware View Client, version 5.2. The virtual desktop is a member of a Windows 2008 R2 Active Directory Domain.

I have painstakingly made sure that both GPO's shown below are actually being applied to the desired user and computer at the View Virtual machine in question and it still will not allow the user to modify the "Appearance and Personalization->Display" settings from Smaller - 100% (default) to Medium or Larger because they are all grayed-out. I am sure there is a policy setting buried somewhere, or another policy setting that I need to Enable/Disable, but I cannot find it.

6-12-2013 12-25-02 PM.png

The logged in user for the Virtual Desktop is also a member of the Local Administrators Group, and I modeled the Group as shown above to make sure the policies were being applied correctly. Lastly, there is a claim/reference in the post (Cannot change font size View 4.5 client, November 8, 2010) mentioned above that claims the solution is to Disable the GPO found at "User Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Personalization/Prohibit Selection of Visual Font Size". This policy does not seem to apply to Windows 7 machines, so naturally it does not show up above (even though I defined it).

For more information about managing Windows 7 GPO see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617164%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Message was edited by: Robert Rizzi

-- RR
0 Kudos
6 Replies
davidmarkley
Contributor
Contributor

I searched high and low for these settings, and tried numerous group policies to no avail. Then, in random googling, found this and solved the issue with the manual registry edit:

VMware KB: Settings tab is not available in the Display control panel of a View desktop in local mod...

Hope this helps...

0 Kudos
bhamm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With PCoIP, certain settings are set by the remote client; examples would be timezone and screen resolution.  That's why, say, screen resolution is greyed out. 

In your case, the remote client is your P25.  The dpi setting for font size is also set by the remote client, but obviously zero clients don't have that setting.  You can set it manually by making a registry change on the vm.  In my case, I made a gpo with a custom registry change that sets \hkcu\control panel\desktop\logpixels to 120.  You'l also need to make sure this runs in the user's context for it to work.

I think there's a limited list of numbers you can set logpixels to.  If 120 doesn't work, I'd search technet/google for other values.

0 Kudos
wingnuts1979
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to do the same thing. I need this setting for users that still want to change the font size. So i disabled the group policy setting "Toggle Settings Display Control" and put the "Prohibit selection of visual style font size" back to not configured. Did a gpupdate /force, and rebooted my machine. Still the same greyed out settings. Then went to the registry, changed the NoDispCPL to 0. Logged off my VM and logged back in. Still the same issues. If i take another look at the registry key NoDispCPL it's back to 1.

What am i missing ?

I would be very grateful if somebody has an answer.

0 Kudos
vmuser2344
Contributor
Contributor

We are using zero client (LG) and I have these two registry keys set.

HKLM\Software\WMware, Inc\VMware VDM\Agent\Configuration\Key: ToggleDisplaySettingsControl = false

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\key: nodispcpl = 0

And our end user's can see these settings.  However my issue is if they change their resolution, log out and back in it will default back to the native resolution.

We are using 5.3.

0 Kudos
tjbailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We're looking for the same thing except for the text size setting (Control Panel -> Display).  Users can make the change, but due to the linked clone this gets blown away on logoff.  We've also tried making a registry setting change on logon ("LogPixels" within HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop) and still nothing.

0 Kudos
bruneluniversit
Contributor
Contributor

So we setup some clones to use single sign on, with the "Only allow local user profiles" GPO.

This was fine until people who are partially sighted had problems using them.

- Setting "nodispcpl" unlocked the DPI setting, but it only applies at log off, where clone gets refreshed.

- Setting "LogPixels" in .DEFAULT section applies to the logon screen, but again only to users after they logoff.

Took me a while but worked out a solution:

- Run REGEDIT

- Select Computer, HKEY_USERS

- File, Load Hive, open C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT ( folder is hidden and file is hidden system )

- Key Name: TEMP

- Within Computer\HKEY_USERS\TEMP\Control Panel\Desktop

- Add a DWORD (32-Bit) a.k.a. REG_DWORD named: LogPixels

- Set HEX value to 60 for default small, 78 for medium, 90 for larger.

- Select the top level TEMP key, File, Unload Hive, Confirm Yes.

You could copy your normal template and make the changes, but that means an extra template to maintain.

Or instead, run "ATTRIB -S -H -R -A C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT" and copy NTUSER.DAT to Scripts\Startup in a new GPO.

Also in that folder create a batch file to be run with the following commands:

ATTRIB -S -H -R -A C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT

COPY /Y %0\..\NTUSER.DAT C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT

In the OU where the normal clones are added, make a sub OU and attach the new GPO.

Create a new pool, same template as the main pool, but get put in the new sub OU.

Entitle to the group of users who need the custom DPI.

0 Kudos