VMware Horizon Community
tsmithjr
Contributor
Contributor

Can't map local USB Printers

INFO:

I have a Wyse C50LE running Suse Linux and view 4.5.

PRINTER INFO:

- I have a USB HP Laserjet P1005 pluged in and windows 7 sees it as a VMware View View Virtual USB Device 01

- I pre loaded the HP Universal Printing driver on the windows 7 image and load it via prnmngr.vbs logon script with this command...

- cscript.exe C:\Windows\System32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US\prnmngr.vbs -a -p "HP Laserjet" -m "HP Universal Printing PS" -r "USB001"

ISSUE:

- Printer that is being installed via prnmngr.vbs installs successfully but it is not associated with the VMware View Virtual USB Device 01 that is listed as unknown in the windows 7 desktop.  (which is the actual printer)

Does anyone know the best way to map local usb printer in my Virtual Desktop when windows doesn't handle it properly.  (I do have other printers on the same image that work fine when windows has it listed in its driver DB)

I'm very new to this so I appologize if I'm doing somthing blatenling wrong.

Below is a screenshot of what I see...

printer.jpg

Thanks Tom

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tsmithjr
Contributor
Contributor

INFO:

I have a Wyse C50LE running Suse Linux and view 4.5.

PRINTER INFO:

- I have a USB HP Laserjet P1005 pluged in and windows 7 sees it as a VMware View View Virtual USB Device 01

- I pre loaded the HP Universal Printing driver on the windows 7 image and load it via prnmngr.vbs logon script with this command...

- cscript.exe C:\Windows\System32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US\prnmngr.vbs -a -p "HP Laserjet" -m "HP Universal Printing PS" -r "USB001"

ISSUE:

- Printer that is being installed via prnmngr.vbs installs successfully but it is not associated with the VMware View Virtual USB Device 01 that is listed as unknown in the windows 7 desktop.  (which is the actual printer)

Does anyone know the best way to map local usb printer in my Virtual Desktop when windows doesn't handle it properly.  (I do have other printers on the same image that work fine when windows has it listed in its driver DB)

FIX:

So it can be resolved 2 separate ways.

1. You must make sure you have a compatible driver or script will run successfully but it will not work.  Universal Driver is preferred but didn't have great success with any of them.

2. When using prnmngr.vbs for HP Printers I needed to specify port DOT4_001 in order for it to work

•       - cscript.exe C:\Windows\System32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US\prnmngr.vbs -a -p "Printer Name" -m "Name of Printer Diver" -r "DOT4_001"

Bottom line was I had to install the exact drivers on my Virtual Desktop recompose the pool and then the printers worked PNP.  Interesting enough when it was PNP it used USB001 but when I forced it with the script is liked DOT4_001

Another Tip:

When trying to install USB HP Printer drivers in your master image while working in the Vcenter Console windows was a little tricky...because the drivers wanted you to plug in the printer which I couldn't get to pass through so...I had to start the install up until it asked for me to plug in the device, go to %temp% and copy the extraction that the HP extraction copied there (don't close the hp software until you copy the drivers out of that folder because it will delete them.)  Then add a local printer and say you have disk and browse to the drivers you just copied and windows will pull the drivers into the proper location for future use.

0 Kudos